Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Fuel solenoid.

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  dave1mn2 
#1 · (Edited)
Long story short, just for continuity. A friend's VG powered 3016 wouldn't start. Reading from here, had me advise him to check the fuel solenoid. My 4018 has a distinctive click, his did not. I told him to soak it, that sometimes its just crud hanging them up. He said he did, then went through some electrical diagnostics and other rigamarole to remove it but never followed through with replacing it. Got a wild hair and offered to sell it to me for a price I couldn't refuse. So, caught up.

I soaked it carb cleaner for 4-5 hrs. Still stuck. At this point, with nothing left to lose, I grabbed it with a pair of needle nose in order to retract it, just to see if it would and it did. cycled it a few times and now it works with the key. What click there is, is very faint and I wouldn't call the movement crisp but it is getting faster with each few cycles.

Is it fixed, or about to be?

I didn't remove any brass but I did shoot carb cleaner through all the holes Bob said to and the tube is clean.

Made a valve cover gasket, my buddy told me it needed.

Bob Meyer mentioned that he sometimes just clips the solenoid end and tells clients to idle down before shutting the engine off. If thats all it is, I'm probably good with that. At least for the time being. Enough to get some seat time, to feel this machine out. ???

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Fixed or not, still unusable. While my buddy did put the solenoid back in far enough that it held carb cleaner for soaking, it was still loose. Tried tightening it up but it needed too many turns for the wires to tolerate. So, I'm stripping tins, which so far, seems is much easier done on an Onan, than a VG. Taking pics and separate boxes for left, right and front parts but sheesh, a lot to take off.

This is going to turn into mission creep, I just know it. There will be no shake down cruise. Too much to take back off and put back on for that. So, semi functioning or not, there will be a new fuel solenoid, new fuel lines and filter, valve adjustment and a proper cleaning, at a minimum. As always, any tips are welcome.

BTW, before all this, it did start easily and run, with a splash of gas down the carb. For no longer than it ran, it sounded fine.

#3 ·
Creampuff on the outside. Not so much, under the tins.

This is AFTER, pulling a couple hand fulls by hand.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

Wrapped the carb and vent in plastic bags, blew it out well with the compressor and its soaking in Simple Green now. I'll power wash it tomorrow.

As much as you guys caution about heat on these, I'm surprised it ran as well as I know it did.

I sorta understand how my buddy got discouraged and I'm sure he didn't strip it down this far but I am surprised he didn't clean what he could reach better.

#6 ·
Initial phase of parts are ordered, should be here within a week or so. That gives me plenty of time to do a good job cleaning everything, replacing the fuel lines and filter, adjusting the valves and asses anything else that shows itself. Fortunately, looks like decent weather to get it done in, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.