Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out on a limb and paid $26.95 for a Fumoto Valve for my 14hp B&S (Ingersoll Odyssey). The block uses a standard 3/8 NPT, so the Fumoto valve was easily sourced. The exact part # is F110N. The "N" stands for nipple. It gives you an inch or so protrusion away from the valve.

Removal of the existing 3/8 NPT was simple enough, but what worried me was installation of the Fumoto Valve so close to the oil filter. Well, the filter MUST be off to install the valve due to the tight space clearance between the two as you spin the valve on. The GOOD news is that once the Fumoto Valve is installed you CAN remove the oil filter with no problems. There is just enough clearance. The valve is a permanent install, but the oil filter can be removed and re-installed with no issues from the Fumoto Valve once the valve is permenantly installed.

Functionality of the valve it great. I initially thought mine was defective, as I couldn't get the valve to turn the 90 deg. as stated in the instructions. It ended up just being quite stiff the first time of turning it. After that I repeatedly was able to move it back and forth with normal force. The small lever is notched so it isn't likely to accidentially knock open. I opted for the $1 spring retainer to prevent any chance for accidential opening, but I honestly didn't install it because I am not sure it really would or could open. Being brass on whatever metal the block is made of, I did use anti-seize compound on the threads.

Filled the Odyssey up with 1.5 qts of 10W30 Valvoline Full Synthetic and ran for a few minutes to circulate the oil and see if the level dropped after filling up the oil filter. I then let it sit for a good 20-30 minutes and checked the dip stick to find it was overfilled a bit. Dah dah dah! Fumoto valve made expelling a small squirt (1/4 cup or so) of oil a breeze to bring the level down to "FULL". MUCH easier than if I had to guess and deal with a messy drain out without draining ALL out.

I might consider one of these for my "real" vehicles now. Works like it is supposed to and is super convenient.

Fluid Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
709 Posts
Nice little writeup.I first discovered these valves when I had a BMW 328iC vert that came with one.Both my 446 and 222 will have these after next oil change.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts