Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To minimise the tendancy to loft the front tires when pulling a heavy trailer would it be best to have the tractors hitch higher or lower than the axle centerline ? I`m guessing higher :headscratcher:

Had 1/3 cube of bricks on my trailer and the steering was rather light.
Or perhaps I had the load improperly distributed with too much tongue weight ?

I will say there were no issues with power / traction / braking, just don`t advance the travel lever too fast :oops:

Figure you "puller" guys know the answer.

Thanks

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
LOWER

You want the point of pull to be lower than the height of the axle shafts. If you go higher than the height of the axle shafts, then you are trying to rotate the front of the tractor skyward. The drawbar on any traction engine is always well below the height of the axle shafts. Farmers with a three-point hitch can get themselves in serious trouble if the attempt to pull stuff while the hitch is fully raised.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
While Tom is right regarding pulling, it sounds like tongue weight may be more the issue. When pulling a pulling sled or a 5 bottom plow there is very little tongue (or 3pt) weight. The resistace is straight back and in that case lower is better on the hitch. If the issue is too much tongue weight where the load is straight down changing the hitch height won't make much difference. Getting the hitch point closer to the axle will help as will moving the load a little further back on the trailer. If the trailer has no brakes you don't want to move the load too far back as that could take weight off from the rear axle which could push you down hill. Front weight or reducing the load may be the safest bet. Gregg

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nutcase446 said:
Getting the hitch point closer to the axle will help as will moving the load a little further back on the trailer. reducing the load may be the safest bet. Gregg
You`ve hit the problem ^ The ball is mounted on the weight box which moves it 18" back from the stock location.

I`ll be reducing the load and making more trips.

Thanks for the replies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.