Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, while writing down my serial numbers from the tractor and engin for the third time I noticed a loose wire. Said wire is black, it comes out the back of the engine about half way down and points toward the battery. It has an end on it that looks like it should go on the battery and is about 10 inches long. What is it for and should it be attached to something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Down load the electrical manual, it's in the tech section. The black wire is probably originating from the "ground" side of the solenoid coil(small terminal) and goes through the safety switches.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
animalsonly said:
Ok, while writing down my serial numbers from the tractor and engin for the third time I noticed a loose wire. Said wire is black, it comes out the back of the engine about half way down and points toward the battery. It has an end on it that looks like it should go on the battery and is about 10 inches long. What is it for and should it be attached to something?
There are only two wires that exit from a Kohler engine and those are both from the alternator coil..........on engines that do not use a starter/generator. If your tractor starts, runs and charges the battery just fine, then I have no idea what that wire would be for.

Please keep in mind when asking questions about your tractor, it is wise to include the model and serial number in each and every thread you start so that other members will know what you have. You get more responses and better replies when you do that. Many changes have been made to these machines over the years and it's the serial number that explains which version you are having problems with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I downloaded the big manual yesterday. I'll have to see if I can find it in there. If not I'l download the eletrical manual. It starts, runs and the lights work. I'll have to see if the amp gage works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Tom-I'll try to get a better memory, I was thinking of someone else's tractor that did have the starter generator. Notice I did say "probably" not "it does" and also recommended the download and use of the manual.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
Billygoat said:
Tom-I'll try to get a better memory, I was thinking of someone else's tractor that did have the starter generator. Notice I did say "probably" not "it does" and also recommended the download and use of the manual.
BG.... we are all doing our best to help those who have a problem with their tractors. There was nothing wrong with what you posted. :sidelaugh: Just keep on posting and sharing what you know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright guys I found out what it was. The problem all started when I was looking around in the dark. Just needed daylight to find out what it was. It is a ground wire. Apparently it was too short to reach the new battey so they put a new on in a different spot. Simple fix me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
animalsonly said:
Alright guys I found out what it was. The problem all started when I was looking around in the dark. Just needed daylight to find out what it was. It is a ground wire. Apparently it was too short to reach the new battey so they put a new on in a different spot. Simple fix me.
As long as you are having fun, that's the main thing. :lol:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top