Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Goofy question #1

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Hydriv 
#1 ·
Ok, while writing down my serial numbers from the tractor and engin for the third time I noticed a loose wire. Said wire is black, it comes out the back of the engine about half way down and points toward the battery. It has an end on it that looks like it should go on the battery and is about 10 inches long. What is it for and should it be attached to something?

#4 ·
animalsonly said:
Ok, while writing down my serial numbers from the tractor and engin for the third time I noticed a loose wire. Said wire is black, it comes out the back of the engine about half way down and points toward the battery. It has an end on it that looks like it should go on the battery and is about 10 inches long. What is it for and should it be attached to something?
There are only two wires that exit from a Kohler engine and those are both from the alternator coil..........on engines that do not use a starter/generator. If your tractor starts, runs and charges the battery just fine, then I have no idea what that wire would be for.

Please keep in mind when asking questions about your tractor, it is wise to include the model and serial number in each and every thread you start so that other members will know what you have. You get more responses and better replies when you do that. Many changes have been made to these machines over the years and it's the serial number that explains which version you are having problems with.

#7 ·
Billygoat said:
Tom-I'll try to get a better memory, I was thinking of someone else's tractor that did have the starter generator. Notice I did say "probably" not "it does" and also recommended the download and use of the manual.
BG.... we are all doing our best to help those who have a problem with their tractors. There was nothing wrong with what you posted. :sidelaugh: Just keep on posting and sharing what you know.

#8 ·
Alright guys I found out what it was. The problem all started when I was looking around in the dark. Just needed daylight to find out what it was. It is a ground wire. Apparently it was too short to reach the new battey so they put a new on in a different spot. Simple fix me.

#9 ·
animalsonly said:
Alright guys I found out what it was. The problem all started when I was looking around in the dark. Just needed daylight to find out what it was. It is a ground wire. Apparently it was too short to reach the new battey so they put a new on in a different spot. Simple fix me.
As long as you are having fun, that's the main thing. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.