Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site and enjoying the topics ,I currently have an old JD 510 L/B a cub cadet 16 and have just aquired a 646 (77) and a 448 (80) , building one out of two well used tractors,both onan powered, so will be here often I suspect,thank you for this forum, and I have yet to find the tech section, with manuals and such ,as they would help immensely . Bob.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Welcome to the group.

I'm not sure what you mean by "building one out of two well-used tractors".

Yes, the 400 and 600 Series models you have are powered with Onan engines but that is where the similarity stops.

The 448 is a garden tractor. The 646 is a industrial loader that is capable of cutting grass and using 3 point hitch attachments, some of which are hydraulically driven. Very few parts are interchangeable and I do mean FEW. The Onan engine in the 646 should be the industrial cast iron Onan CCKA model but the engine in the 448 will be a BG-48 aluminum. You would be wise to keep your 646 PURE and original. It will maintain a much higher value if you do not alter it with non-OEM parts.

As for the TECH Library... you will find it smack dab in the middle of the main page where all the various forums are listed.

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
garysdad said:
I am new to this site and enjoying the topics ,I currently have an old JD 510 L/B a cub cadet 16 and have just aquired a 646 (77) and a 448 (80) , building one out of two well used tractors,both onan powered, so will be here often I suspect,thank you for this forum, and I have yet to find the tech section, with manuals and such ,as they would help immensely . Bob.
Bob: Welcome to the site, we're glad you joined! :usa: :usa: :usa: Here is the Technical Section link in case you are still having problems finding it: http://casecoltingersoll.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=24 You will find virtually all the technical information you may need here on the Forum. Skim through the general discussion posts too, several of us have been working the 600 series yard tractors and you will see there is a good bit of discussion and valuable recommendations from group members. Look forward to some pictures of the 646 and 448 and talking on site.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good morning,,,,thanks for the reply and info,yes,I am finding a lot of difference betweem the two units.The engine in the 646,is in rough shape,doubt it has ever seen fresh oil,and was disassembled when I recieved it .The 448 has a nice clean sound engine but my intent was to build a small backhoe/loader as I will be selling the JD 510,and need something to play in the dirt and snow with !!I understand the onans are made of gold and the 400 I paid for the 448 seemed a better bet (I am retired ,more time than money).I will examine the CCKA more closely ,perhaps I can nurse it back into life.Thanks again ! Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after reassembling the ccka ,de-oiling the contact points, de-silicone-ing the carburetor,it looks like I may have a runner !!!!!!Now to de-ratsnest the wiring,,,are there any common suppliers of friction material,as I need to reline the PTO clutch and brake band,any input greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Bob,
Please spend some time in the FAQ's section of this site. There, you will find a document titled "Where to buy STUFF" and the Ingersoll dealers listed there can sell you new parts for your clutch. You will also find a reference for the brake band material.

If you have more questions after reviewing the FAQ's, Parts Manuals, Operator's Manuals and Service Manuals, please post those questions on the main forum because this forum is just for introductions.

Thanks,
Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.