Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Greetings from Black Forest

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  InTroubleAlltheTime 
#1 ·
Black Forest, Colorado, that is.

I am interested in a good, rugged garden tractor for small scale farming. Must be strong enough to drag plow, harrow, cultivator. I hear that the Case/Colt, Ingersoll is a very good one.

Will appreciate any suggestions as to what I should look for.

regards, malcolm

#2 ·
Hey Malcolm, you heard correctly, these machines can handle just about anything that is asked of them, not sure about your part of the country, but location plays a huge role in what tractor you may end up getting, other parts of the country have more variety of models and attachments, other parts....not so much.

Just start looking around everywhere and something is bound to pop up eventually. Best of luck in that search and please, ask any questions you might have and share your story when you find your new toy.

Welcome!!!

#5 ·
fingercheck said:
I am interested in a good, rugged garden tractor for small scale farming. Must be strong enough to drag plow, harrow, cultivator. I hear that the Case/Colt, Ingersoll is a very good one.

Will appreciate any suggestions as to what I should look for.

regards, malcolm
The Case(now Ingersoll) tractors built from the early 70's to today are little changed and rugged tractor built the old fashion way. Ingersoll has been smart to enough to realize if it ain't broke don't fix it and so the old models and new models share most of the same components and attachments. When it comes to pulling I don't think there is another brand that does it better and you'll be happy with any models from the 444 (14 hp) to the new 4223 (23 hp) model. The higher HP are important for driving attachments such as snowblowers and big mower decks but offer little advantage in pulling. The 400/4000 models have larger rear wheels which offer greater ground clearance than the small wheel models (200/3000 series) but in all other respects the big and small wheel models are the same. My advice is to follow Craigs List and Ebay and when you find something in your price range and driving range feel free to ask for opinions on value and condition.

Bart

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.