Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and new to Case having just purchased a '74 646. It will join my Cub Cadet 125 in the shed. The 646 appears to be in good shape, nothing bent or welded from abuse. The previous owner rebuilt the Onan engine, replaced a few hoses and generally got it running again. It could use more work ... a paint job, rewiring (wiring is a bit of a mess), the exhaust system is a hack (but works) and the linkage for forward/reverse could use some adjusting ... reverse is a bit slow. Seems to have plenty of power (climbed up the trailer with no strain when I picked it up). Plan is to use it for a bunch of yard work - loam and mulch to spread, stones to move and crushed stone to spread ... getting to old for the shovel and wheelbarrow.

Looking forward to the experience and wisdom from the experts in this forum to help me learn about my latest treasure. It is one well built machine.

Mark

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If you check our Tech section, you will find Parts Manuals for your tractor. Much can be learned just by studying them.

Some new parts are still available and some are not.

- I don't believe that Eastman still offers wiring harnesses for your model however it is not difficult to make a completely new one yourself. We can help you with that process.

- OEM exhaust systems are also difficult to find. Once again, owners have just opted to fabricate their own by using stainless steel components everywhere and thus putting an end to the ongoing replacement issues.

- the travel linkage is something that is currently under discussion in the main forum right now. You might want to join it.

- it is certainly capable of everything you outlined in the way of tasks.

I urge you to spend some time in the FAQ section and pay attention to the documents that speak about draining the hydraulic oil, the type of oil to be used and the ones concerning the trans-axle.

Please read the STICKY at the top of each forum. These say "Please read" or "Welcome to the ,,,,,,,,". These will explain how the forum or bulletin board is to be used.

Enjoy..

Tom

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Mark: Welcome to the site, we're glad you joined! :usa: :usa: :usa:And congratulations on the 646! :trink: :trink: :trink: It's great see another member from the NE. Please feel at home here, we have a very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful group here. Since your in reach I want to give you a heads up to a get together "Casenutz" in Connecticut sponsored by group member Mad Mackie this Saturday! viewtopic.php?f=10&t=946 The Mackie is a master mechanic who is very generous to share his extensive knowledge of small engines. It's a nice event.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the warm and friendly greetings. I am looking forward to tackling the immediate tasks with the 646 and then spending some time taking care of the needs of the machine itself. I am sure I found the right place to ask questions, get opinions and learn how to "fix it right".

I have already learned a bunch ....

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.