Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings: I have a Ingersoll 446 which I bought new in 1988. It's been very dependable until last fall (I think I blew the engine). I'm about to take it to a mechanic referred by a local ingersoll dealer. Recently started lurking on the boards hoping to figure out what I'm in for expense wise. Sounds like */- $1000.00, ouch!

Overall it's still in great shape (for 23 years of use), paints is good, tires still good. Have a snow blade, tire chains, rear lift hitch and a mower deck.

I also want to look at adding a pto and tiller vs just buying a regular tiller.

Glad there's groups and forums for these awesome tractors!

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If you take the tractor to a dealer and drop it off with the idea of picking it up in a couple weeks as a fully functional tractor, then you better have $2000.00 in the kitty.

That $1000.00 figure is based upon YOU removing the engine and installing it when it is all back together. It is also based on YOU tearing that engine down so that a machine shop can bore the block, turn the crank, do a valve job, deck the heads and block and so forth. What all of that will cost, along with the parts needed, will be between your local machine shop and yourself because prices for this work will vary widely across the nation.

Welcome to the group.

We will help you all we can but perhaps you should talk with Boomer to see what he can do for you.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Welcome, NoPlanB,
That is a great username. Sorry to hear about the engine problem, but I look at it this way. It sounds like you have taken good care of the tractor, and you know its entire history, so you know what you have. It also sounds like you may want to keep it for a while since it has treated you well. Even if you end up with more into the tractor than it is worth on the market, it may be worth fixing, especially when you consider that you could very well use it for the next 23 years with a fresh engine.
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.