Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Case Colt Ingersoll Forum Members!

My name is Josh and I have gotten myself into quite the pickle. My wife :wife: and I are originally from Indiana, but moved out west almost a decade ago to find better opportunity. While we have been living the dream out here we always had a soft spot for a place back home. One where we could escape and potentially start a primarily self sufficient homestead. With all that's been happening since the beginning of the year, when a property came up that matched the criteria we were looking for, we snagged it. Without having seen it in person we were now the proud owners of a 3bdr 2ba home on an acre of land in the middle of farms far and wide. So starting at the end of July this year we have been in the process of both rehabilitating the property and beginning to tame the land that has been vastly neglected.

Generally being from the city most of my life I have not had much experience with tractors, and initially looked at riding mowers I thought would best suit the job. After doing some research I learned that what I needed was actually a garden tractor; something that could both mow, snowblow, plow, till etc. Knowing the list of things I wanted out of a piece of equipment helped me narrow down the options available to me. With John Deere never having appealed to me, and because it was the overwhelming response I got to people who happen to hear about my need, I felt compelled to keep looking. What I found was time and time again people complimenting the Case garden tractors, for all kinds of reasons. What I also found was a vast and deep pool of knowledge on the internet about these machines and can admit I was lurking on here for awhile before officially joining.

So at the moment I am on the lookout for garden tractor that will foot the bill for my small homestead plot, and currently do not own any. My thought is should get something in the 400 line (442/444/446/448) as I prefer the large wheel and stylings the most. My initial need will be for mowing, but once the property is finished then plowing, tilling, snowblowing etc will be on the table.

And that pickle that I talked about, well I am kind of doing this all by the seat of my pants. So I really do appreciate the fact that forums like these exist to help people like me along, giving a wealth of knowledge and a panel of experts all in one. Talk to you all soon I'm sure :thumbup:

·
Administrator
2,729 Posts
Welcome

Tips for newcomers...

Please go to your member profile and list your location. This helps when you want to price, sell, or buy something.

Detailed instructions can be found here --> https://casecoltingersoll.com/showth...o-your-profile

Please resist the temptation to 'Look with your mouth'.

The search box is on the upper RH corner of every page.

Please take the time to at least scan the titles of the Frequently Asked Questions before you ask one of them.
https://casecoltingersoll.com/forumdi...-Tractor-FAQ-s

Visit the technical library and see what a wide range type of information is available there.
https://casecoltingersoll.com/forumdi...hnical-Library

·
Site sponsor, Parts Dealer
3,031 Posts
Hello & Welcome Josh, We are glad to have you here with us & hope you enjoy this site, we are all here to help out. All those are good machines & would work well. The Kohler engine in the Case 444 are a lot cheaper to overhaul, But then the newer 446 or 448 has a engine oil filter on the Onan engine. Pros and cons but great machines. Take Care From Bill & Charlie at Barneveld Imp. 608-924-1662 (the Parts Guys) www.barneveldimp.com

·
Premium Member
2,713 Posts
:wave: Hello Josh, and welcome to the group :wave:

Excellent intro :thumbup:

When you say plowing are you referring to a push blade or a moldboard plow? My 78-224 (14hp) will mow, till and blow great, just never had either type of plow on her. I don't need to push dirt, and I prefer the blower for snow. And I have the tiller so no need for the moldboard plow.

So don't rule out the low profile tractors :wink: I don't blame you for wanting a Case 4xx, but don't forget the Ingersoll 4xxx are pretty much the same, if one comes up for sale near you.

Happy hunting :fingerscrossed:
:cheers:
Gordy

·
Super Moderator
3,514 Posts
Welcome aboard freedOrn!!! Great to have you here. Congratulations on your new homestead. Good luck with your search, please keep us updated on your progress and post some pics when you're able to.

Enjoy the site
Capt Dan

·
Administrator
3,410 Posts
Welcome aboard! I once lived in San Diego but, like you, realized that my heart was back in the area where I grew up.

I have both Onan and Kohler powered 400 series machines and while I like both engine brands, I tend to prefer the smoothness and power of my 446’s and 448’s. The good news is that offerings for good used 400 series machines are not uncommon in the mid west. I think you will also be pleasantly surprised by the prompt and courteous support from the dealers here on this site as well as the availability of parts for tractors over 40 years old.

Welcome and good luck with your new home and tractor search.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have owned the 400 series mostly, a 444 Demo had a Kohler engine, and I have owned and sold a few 446's and a few 448's. I like the smoothness of the Onan engines in comparison to the Kohler, and as I moved into the different numbers I picked up some additional power. That comes into play as you put the bigger decks on them and when blowing snow.

I grew up in Indiana about halfway between Chicago and Indianapolis (Winamac). I didn't see that you had claimed Star City as you Indiana connection. I grew up 4 miles SW of Star City.

Bill Moyer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@k0jdd - I will review, thanks for the info!

@BarnImp.1662 - Thanks for the info, good things to keep in mind. Bookmarking your site :)

@Gordy - I am referring mainly to a moldboard plow, but a push blade wouldn't be bad to have either. Right now I am just future proofing so I have the right tools when the time comes, and without having used either I just assume its better to have both. I initially was looking at the 2XX series but enjoy the look the big-wheels, but if the price and attachments are right I wouldn't turn down one either. I generally find the Ingersoll's listed as Case but should definitely be doing a separate search for those as well, thanks for the heads up!

@Jancoe - I am a bit over three weeks out until my next visit so once I am closer I will start reaching out to people. Thanks for letting me know about this!

@CaptDan - Thanks! And a big will do :)

@bhildret - Thanks! Bookmarked your site :)

@tss8690 - Thank you! Yeah we love it here but its always felt more like a long vacation than home. Appreciate the info the on 446/448's as those are primarily what I am looking at, but am still open to others depending on pricing and accompanying attachments.

@Seabee - Well small world haha. We are originally from the Kokomo area but when coming back found the place had changed fairly dramatically and since we always wanted something a bit further out this location made sense. Also being 2hrs from Chicago isn't a bad thing. Appreciate the info on the Onan engines, seems to be a consensus there, so that is the way I am leaning.

Really appreciate the warm welcome :) Thanks everybody

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Josh, We haven't heard from you in a bit and was just interested in how you were making out on your transition to Star City, Indiana?

Bill Moyer

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Welcome Josh
Missed you the first time around, glad to hear your settling down in Indiana
You'll find a lot more tractors in your new zip code, parts and attrahents too.
Had a Uncle station in Kokomo at the Air Force base, I remember the fighters they were so cool
and a old time drag strip I think I was hooked after that
Try to enjoy this site lots of great members willing to help out with any questions.
bigman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts