Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to look at a 224 yesterday. Guy wanted $600 for tractor, deck and front blade. Ran good, just a hint of smoke when throttling up. When driving and quickly moving hydro lever to neutral, I heard a gear-grinding type noise every time. Besides the brushed paint job everything else seemed ok. Didn't even look at the deck. I offered $400 and he wouldn't budge a nickel. Said "thanks for your time...see ya"

My question is, is that grinding noise normal on these case transmissions? My (sorry guys..) Cub Cadet 149 hydro makes no such noise and can quickly go from forward to reverse without issue, and without noise.

This was the first drive on a Case (I WANT one), so I'm just wondering if I'm being too picky about the noise?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Re: Grinding when moving hydro lever to neutral position qui

Case tractors are hydraulic drive. Cub tractors are hydrostatically driven. Not the same thing in spite of the similarity of the wording.

What you are hearing is not a grinding of gears. That cannot happen as a result of the actions you describe. What you are likely hearing is the hydraulic system complaining about you cutting off the oil flow. It's nothing to worry about.

Value?

Well, if the plow blade is in nice shape, it should be worth $150.00 and up just by itself. That would mean the Seller is asking $450.00 for a good running 224 with a deck and a bad paint job. That price is often not unreasonable, depending upon what the local economy dictates for a similar unit. The price is certainly in line with what they go for on e-Bay. If you had snapped photos and got a serial number, then we could be more objective. So, if you really want a Case GT and if they are sort of scarce in your area, then you might want to revisit this one if it has not been sold already.

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts

The grinding is a little concerning at first when you hear it. It's completely normal though.

Once you get a few hours on it you will get a little better at using the hydraulic drive and you won't notice it so much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the info, esp. about the hydraulic vs hydrostatic, I wasn't aware of that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.