Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was thinking of upgrading the headlights from the standard to a different form has anyone used car headlights or other tractor headlights to light their path any info would be helpful thanks in advance

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Lots of things have been done, ranging from installing LED's in the housings to 50 watt halogen lamps. Others have bought halogen driving lights and mounted them in the OEM headlamp holes. You have to keep in mind that you have only 15 amps to work with and a portion of that is needed to run the engine and recharge the battery.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
You can get new lenses from ghope.com. If fixed the headlights on all my tractors but never use them since I'm usually in bed before it get's dark. :sidelaugh: And when I'm not in bed I'm doing something more fun than driving my tractor.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
kckahl said:
plastic but they look horrible
well that certainly is not helping the light output of the stock bulbs which is pushing you toward just replacing the entire housing. As far as I know there is no eaxact fit replacement aftermarket headlight on the market. You can get some glass replacement lenses but you will have to look around for them. If I recall, there is a member here that was selling off a few brand new sets. Check the classifieds.

If you are handy then you could make a set of automotive foglights work but it will require some fab work. Use this formula to figure out how much draw there will be on the charging system if you decide to use aftermarket lights

Amps = Watts/Volts

A single 55W bulb with draw 4.5amps.

I suggest NOT using LEDS. It is my opinion that they do not do a good jog of cutting into the night. It is even worse in the snow. I would use a good quality incandescent bulb

·
Registered
574 Posts
The photo in your avatar shows a cab. In the winter, I mount a single 55 watt halogen on the roof of my cab and just leave the stock headlights off (the snowcaster blocks a good deal of the light from the headlights anyway). Mine has a magnetic base and is actually sold as a work light. Works really well lighting up the area for snow blowing. I have a 35 watt light that faces rearward on a separate switch. That light generally stays off. My charging system (20 amp) keeps up with the electrical load, as my battery light will usually turn off while I'm working.

There are brighter bulbs you can put in the stock housings, but without glass lenses you might melt the lenses. I do have glass lenses on my tractor and used to have halogen bulbs in there. In my case, those bulbs while really bright, did not stand up to the vibration.

Paul

·
Administrator
3,410 Posts
I installed Sylvania H3 55 watt halogen lamps in both of my Ingersolls. Using a 1/2" hole saw I bored a hole in the center of the buckets and filed part of the hole to accept the odd shape of the lamp base. Drill and install one or two mounting screws, connect the lamps to the existion wiring. No more melting of the plastic lenses.
Another option is a pair of Burner brand lamps that will fit in the hood holes with minor mod and an adapter plate. The Burners that I have use the same H3 55 watt lamp but the bucket is much more reflective.
Bob MacGregor in CT

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
where did you get those burner lamps and is that a brand name or ?. The hoods not in the greatist shape but i will be painting it i just wanted to get the modification done before. i will be visiting the parts store today to shop around

·
Administrator
3,410 Posts
Walmart stores here in CT sell them. They are Burner brand name. They also make several other shapes but this is the only one that will fit with only minor reshaping of the holes in the hood. But an adapter plate is needed to hold them in place.
Bob MacGregor in CT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.