Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the oil burning Onan from the 446 this morning, not as bad as I feared. No blood, no bruises, minimal swearing, under 4 hrs. Fair enough for a backyard mechanic`s first attempt.
Had to twist the harmonic balancer puller pretty tight so I was worried about the threaded bosses on the flywheel, but it came free.
Seeing how much work would be required for a starter or stator swap makes a starter/generator set-up look very attractive.
Of course the above work on a 4XXX would require engine removal, I NOW understand why Boomer says the flywheel belongs in the front !

Next step is tranferring all the oil burners ancillary parts to the short block sent by Boomer.
Finally unboxed it yesterday and it`s a thing of beauty. THANKS AGAIN MR. BOOMER !

Of course then I have to put it back in, I anticipate that installing the R.H. bottom pump mount bracket bolt may require an infusion of liquid patience and the dexterity of a brain surgeon.

Enough wrenching for one Sunday, time to bust out the 4020 and :mowlawn:

·
Registered
137 Posts
99flhr said:
Seeing how much work would be required for a starter or stator swap makes a starter/generator set-up look very attractive.
I came in from the shop to eat my lunch and saw your post and its spot on. This is what I have been doing all morning. I'm repairing the starter. :lol: This became the opportunity to do some much needed work on the front axle and steering linkage as well as looking for a slow oil leak, so I'm not complaining but it is unbelievable what you go through to remove the two starter bolts. Good luck with your transplant! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My starter worked perfectly, after removal I noticed that one of the mounting holes is oval for setting gear spacing, wish I had scribed a line before removal. Guess I`ll have to get out the manual prior to reinstallation. Live and learn...

Hey, it`s June ! Take off the cab and chains ! You must have "too much equipment" !

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts
akeller said:
That looks oddly familiar.....

As for the starter, I can have mine off in 15 minutes. I notched a 2x2 inch section out of the bottom of one of the tins to get a wrench in there. You would never know unless you were on your back underneath. Tom will be in to scold me for that shortly. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Snotrocket said:
akeller said:
That looks oddly familiar.....

As for the starter, I can have mine off in 15 minutes. I notched a 2x2 inch section out of the bottom of one of the tins to get a wrench in there. You would never know unless you were on your back underneath. Tom will be in to scold me for that shortly. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not if you kept Uncle Tom on a shorter leash Snotty :wife: or maybe put him on a run in the back yard to run off some of that agression. :+1: :canada: :sidelaugh:

Mark

·
Registered
137 Posts
99flhr said:
Hey, it`s June ! Take off the cab and chains ! You must have "too much equipment" !
It is June all right but I strip the cab down to what you see in the pic and take the rear window out so it cools down nicely and keeps the sun off my rapidly balding head. :wink: I use her as a pulling tractor in some pretty rough terrain and snow plow in the winter so the chains stay on all year. The old girl has not cut a blade of grass since I got her. :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.