Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an Ingersoll 446 roller. According to the previous owner, he purchased it from a guy who had installed a Honda motorcycle engine in it. It is obvious that the frame was modified to accommodate something other than the original Onan as he had welded some square tubing to the the top of the frame's engine section and also raised the front of the hood about an inch. Everything was pretty much there except for the engine and PTO clutch. I will need to find a new ignition switch and choke and throttle cable assemblies as well. The tractor is in pretty good shape though.

My plans are to re-power with something?? I've entertained a Honda GL engine, small diesel, a 16 HP Briggs vertical shaft I have laying around or a 16 HP Onan that I can get cheap. I'm not sure which direction I want to go but it will depend on how much time, effort, and money I put into it! Usually it's the $$ that help me decide! :sad: I am going to fab up an enclosed cab regardless of whatever else I do with it.

I am curious to know if the previous owner to the guy I bought it from is on this forum?? He would probably be located near mid Michigan?? If so, please send me a PM as I would like to know what kind of set up you had. Thanks!!

As soon as I get a chance, I will post some pics.

Brian

·
Garden Tractor Nerd
359 Posts
vortec said:
a 16 HP Onan that I can get cheap.

Brian
My vote is to place an engine in your 446 with an engine that originally came in the tractor from the factory. Onan engines and refurbished blocks show up on eBay all the time. Shouldn't be too difficult to find one. Place a WTB in the classified here or even in your local craigslist. You never know someone might have one in that back corner of the shop they might want to part with. Good find on the 446 now's the time to take your time and do it right by putting the right power plant in it. :thumbup:

Kenneth

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
When you own an untouched Case tractor, it will perform many tasks for you. If you re-power that tractor, then you run the risk of losing the ability of the tractor to perform all the tasks it did previously.

If you choose to install a vertical shaft engine, then that is the worst possible scenario. Kiss goodbye, grass cutting, lawn mowing, running a 540 RPM front PTO, blowing snow or plowing dirt or snow. You have also deleted the ability to use a Sleeve hitch. WHY? Because you won't have a PTO drive available to power the V-belt used by three of those attachments and the hydraulic lift cylinder used to raise and lower attachments will also be gone.

Granted, you will still be able to tow things, install a three-point hitch and run a rear PTO but the primary functions of a GT will not be there.

If you choose the diesel or the Honda.... then figuring out how to put the engine driven PTO back in place will be essential if you want to retain the original ability of the tractor. Going with another Onan solves all those problems and in the long run.....keeps the value of your tractor up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand Ken, that the Onan would be the engine of choice to retain the original characteristics of the Ingy. While I do hold high respect for those who choose to have an all original machine, I like to try something different.

Hydriv - with a little ingenuity, one can make a vertical drive do all the same functions as the original power-plant. Sure, it would take more time and more thought but it can be done. Part of the fun of the project are the challenges!

My step-dad's brother was into Volkswagen engines. He had a VW powered motorcycle that he built, a snowmobile powered by a vw engine, and even made a dual track driven tractor that had a VW engine. He also has a garden tractor powered by a Fiat 4 cylinder engine. It wasn't that he needed to do that but rather the fact that he had something different than anyone else. I admire that!

But none the less, I do appreciate your comments and feedback. :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.