Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I just get a new head or try to fix again. Anyone have a new head for K321 14hp?
Engine blows a lot out of breather before this happened. engine made loud pop and died pulled it back to garage and found that the helicoil that was installed blew out. Any ideas what could have caused this? Bad piston rings? What’s is causing discharge from breather?
82109867-F6E0-4A23-80FB-B368D3E16D77.jpeg

·
Administrator
6,107 Posts
Now, I might be wrong but I believe this head you have also fits K241 K301 K321, so I'd just watch ebay for one of these and replace yours. Plugs need to be torque down to specs, and it has to be the right plug. Pulling the head would indicate if the piston has been hitting anything, but regardless, I'd replace your head. (Aluminum heads, and I'm not a fan of heli coils)

As far as blowing plugs,,
Not that I know much, but if we think about a compression stroke, at the top of the stroke, the plug sparks, which causes an explosion in the cylinder, which should propel the piston on back down it's merry way for power. So, now, since I don't think the upcoming piston in the compression stroke would create too much compression,, I would think to myself that it fires early, so I'd make sure my timing is set correctly, and that the valves are set to specifications.

A fantastic source of info is the below website, but it needs a lot of research within this site, as it links to other information articles he's done,

Professional Kohler Engine Rebuilding, Buildups and Modifications

·
Administrator
2,783 Posts
Inspect the head and the plug to see if you can determine how may threads were damaged (all or just some).

If it is just some of the threads, then the plug had likely vibrated loose. When there were not enough threads engaged to hold it it finally blew.

Been there, done that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts