Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
My name is Bob Schwark and I am a long time Hoosier Case/Ingersoll fan and owner here in Muncie, IN! (Does 1978 to today make me a long time fan? I know there are those out there that have old Case fluid for blood. So I know I am not a REAL old timer-And by the way Thank you all for the shared knowledge over the years!!)
I used to work 2 or 3 mostly part time jobs as a kid and youngster, and maintained 6, 8 or 10 yards over the years (decades) for friends and loyal customers since I was 8 or 10 years old. I was one of those kids that dragged my mowers home from the local mower/small engine repair shop down the road after they closed for the day that had been set out for scrap. I would repair and get the use I could get with those mowers and then save anything when they went terminal that I might want for future use. One of my first custom builds, just for fun, was a go-cart (although ultimately it really didn't qualify as a go-cart but more as a go-back cart!) I must have been 10 years old or so when I HAD TO HAVE a go-cart because the neighbor kid had one. A nice one. One that you bought with money!! Of course he was much much older (about 12!!) and he would never consider letting some LITTLE KID drive his go-cart so I knew if I was going to have one I would have to build it myself. No big deal! I had a hack saw, wood saw and an adjustable wrench! And if I was going to have one it had to definately be faster than his!! With the good scrap assemblies I had collecting in the family garage I cut the belt driven rear end housing (bent tin, bronze colored housing, with an axle two tires and a couple of pulleys) and I added an engine from a bigger mower (I really don't remember these (then) minor details except I made my engine mounts from more wood), fabricated what I thought a frame ought to look like (out of 2" x 4" 's, nails and God only knows what else), I hung a front end off another mower and tweaked the suspension until I thought it was good enough to handle at least 40 or 50 MPH. Last item I had to buy was the belt that drove the engine pulley to rear drive pullies. Fired this rod up, fed her some gas, clutch locked up and man did she fly!!! BACKWARDS!!! After working off the cost of replacing one of our two wood garage door's that my mom had to pay to replace, (the back of my head took out the second panel of that door I think.) I think It knocked some sense into me sometime shortly after that because I learned the first and most important rule of building, modifying or repairing anything. THINK FIRST-THINK AGAIN-FAB OR REPAIR-THINK AGAIN, THEN TEST CAREFULLY!!! (In neutral!) I had to make this cart work so I put a twist in a longer belt and I was off!!!!! 10-15 miles an hour down the driveway, GOING FORWARD!!! I was in heaven -for about 20 yards and then... I smelled smoke!! Lots of melting rubber smoke??? Those numerous belts I bought that summer trying to eliminate the belt on belt friction running in opposite directions against each other taught me another lesson. When to say enough is enough! It still holds a record for the lowest mean time to failure (about 10 seconds drive time PER BELT.) It was not long until I was off to other intriguing hobbies and projects. and work, as always.
I had been doing my lawn maintenance all along and eventually lucked into buying an old used Case riding mower/tractor Somewhere about 1978. I didn't think to much of it at first but the more I used it and worked on it some it somehow grew on me. Even that odd color didn't seem quite so bad after a couple summers without trading out riders every two or three months! That Case (220 or 222 or, maybe both??? something like that if I remember right) just kept lopping off that grass month after month after month, without the need to find another engine or buying new belts regularly etc... 1987 I started working for the local School Corporation and I had always thought that before I gave up my lawn maintenance jobs I was going to have a brand new Case garden tractor! A 448 with an N46 deck and the 54" plow, chains, what a sweet tractor!!! Ordered and picked her up in the spring of 1988 and used her and cared for her for twenty years and about two thousand hours. She was getting tired but always got the job done! Then I broke the love-joy coupler and with that I thought I was in need of some new(er) iron. I still own her, although she takes up the major portion of my shed center aisle waiting until I have a couple thousand $ to throw at her and bring her back to those glory days of the 88 to 2008!!! I now have a 4020 with an RM60 that I am sorry to say has been a lemon. Threw a rod fall of 08-repowered with a 24HP Honda ($2200)-RM60 deck does not want to be reliable and won't cut right etc... numerous hydraulic leaks and blown fittings etc... The S48 snow blower I bought back in the early 90's and was used on the 448 now sits in the shed waiting for me to install the conversion kit I bought off E-bay a couple years ago to make her work with the backward (or is it frontward) running engines they use now. The plow works fine year to year now but those days of seeing tons of snow flying through the air for a 100 yards, it seemed, aiming it like it was a flame thrower burying invisible enemies with an 18 HP Onan screaming on steroids and with a twist of the crank handle for aiming, those memories are beckoning me, no, ORDERING ME to get that damn conversion done. Thats one long intro! Sorry. I'll try not to be a windbag any more! Looking for an RM60 for my 4020PS or the 48" version (RM48?). A good but well used and well priced, (as in cheap), tiller and a 3 point set-up.
Bob Schwark 765 215-4146

·
Garden Tractor Nerd
359 Posts
Re: Hello everyone! Hoosier Ingersoll fan and owner since 19

Welcome Bob!

What a great introduction! I love the go(backwards)-cart story. You've definitely come to the right place for anything you need Case, Colt or Ingersoll. I'm sorry your luck with the 4020 hasn't been all what it should have or should be that's for sure, but I know you'll find other 4020 owners here that can help.

Once again, welcome! As far as the "windbag" statement is concerned - don't worry about it. We enjoy stories such as yours and more. Enjoy CCI and I (we) look forward to hear more from you in the future.

Kenneth

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Re: Hello everyone! Hoosier Ingersoll fan and owner since 19

:goodpost: Bob: Welcome to the site, we're glad you joined! :usa: :usa: :usa: Nice story, that's some rich Case history! The go-cart part reminds me of my neighborhood when I was a kid. We had a couple of kids that were mechanics in the neighborhood and they turned wagons into go carts and stingrays into motorcycles (so to speak LOL).
If you haven't looked around yet please be sure to check out the Technical Library and general FAQs up top and tractor FAQs on the Board Index. There are also sub-forums focusing on the various engines, Kohler, Onan, etc.. Think you will like it here, we have a great membership. Sure you will have some great knowledge to share with the group. Look forward to talking on site. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.