Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Hello from MN

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  InTroubleAlltheTime 
#1 ·
Hello and thank you for making this site my name is David I have one of them old case's. a 1965 case 130. goes great with all the other old stuff i have.

#9 ·
davidm110 said:
lol accually I am probably one of the younger people on the forum I would guess.
Before I got involved with GT's I had been a long time member of a number of different computer/technology sites where I'm always one of the older guys.

Now I get involved in garden tractors and it's like I'm a spring chicken. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

#10 ·
They still know how to make good products today. You just have to have deep enough products for some things. In fact, most of the stuff made today is far and away superior to the stuff I grew up with so don't buy into that crap some of the old farts my age spout.

They've forgot about unplugging their black and white TV's, taking twenty screws out to remove the back cover, using a piece of wire to bleed off the high voltage on the rear of the picture tube so that they could safely remove the dozen tubes. Then they drove to the local drugstore and tested those tubes one by one trying to find the bad one.

They've forgot about bringing their 58 Ford Fairlane 500 into the local service station for a fall tune-up and then a spring tune-up. Tires lasted no more than 20,000 miles. You changed the oil in the rear end, manual transmission and the engine in spring and fall. You did a valve job at 40,000 miles and the rings before 80,000 miles. And if you got 100,000 miles out of a car, you were damn lucky.

Lastly, those $800.00 garden tractors in the 60's that everyone lusts after today would cost you $10,000.00 in the money of today. It's called inflation. :sidelaugh:

#12 ·
On one hand my 2006 Dodge truck still has the original u-joints and spark plugs at 225,000 miles. On the other hand they are selling John Deere tractors at Home Depot with engines rated for 230 hours of service. Tom is right. We are capable of making the best products ever but sometimes the goal is strictly market share. One thing that my truck and that JD have in common is you don't spend much time tinkering with either. I think that that is what I really enjoy about these old tractors. Anyone can hop on a new tractor and go mow the lawn. Gregg

#14 ·
I guess what I should have said is that when they did make something you could acually work on it and fix it instead of throwing it away. Besides my 130 i have a 1965 john deere 110 that is my work horse a 1948 ford 8n and a 1956 international s110 pickup with 28k miles. Plan is come spring to tear the 130 down and repaint it think I might have some pics on photobucket I will have to look.

#16 ·
Hey David,
No worries. I totally understood where your mind was on that issue. The cars and trucks of today are amazing but the days of the shade-tree mechanic are dead and gone.

As for your 130, we can certainly help you with that and it would make a great article in our new Restoration forum.

Cheers,

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.