Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
1982 446 1988 446
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I guess it is about time I've introduced myself. I've been on the forum lurking for quite a few months using the wealth of information to work on my new to me Case tractors.

My name is Dan, I'm in my late 30's and I love to tinker on everything and anything. My background is/was a welder and machinist. That is what I went to school for and worked for many years. When the US shut down for covid, I lost my job of many years and started my own business making and sewing shooting and tactical gear for military, LEO, and civilians. With my background as a machinist, I took that skill and sewing and combined the two into a market that was severely lacking quality. I make some of the highest quality gear with the nicest stitching you've ever seen and have been in business three years now.

Anyway what brought me to CCI was searching for information on a lawn/garden tractor that was worth fixing and last me the rest of my life and be given to my children when the time comes. My craftsman lawn mower has been nickel and diming me for the past two years and I was just tired of fixing it. So I started looking at everything and for $2000 bucks you got some new piece of crap that is basically all the same regardless of brand or color.

So time to go old school and find something worth fixing. I started with cub cadet and john deere. I didn't really like what I searched and those seemed to some of the highest priced brands on the used market. While searching Facebook and Craigslist I came across the case lineup and loved what I saw. The big wheel setup looked amazing and really follows the farm tractor style I grew up with, using farmall and international tractors.

So I finally found a local 1988 446 for $450 with a 48" deck and 48" snowblower. Right up my ally and the price was right. I found this website and started to completely tear apart the 446. My son and I completely mechanically restored the 1988 446. I went over the entire unit fixing everything, replacing all the hoses, and broken parts, and getting it back to perfect working order.

I must say, this tractor is the best running, and mowing tractor I have ever seen or used in my life. I cannot believe how nice it mows and how quite it is. With filled rear tires, and the hydraulic drive, it just chugs along on my acre and half of land doing everything I ask it. I cannot wait to using it this winter to blow snow. The only complaint I have is..... it is a gas hog for sure.

Either way I'd like to say hello and thank you to so many of you who have unknowingly helped me the past six months.

Here is the three.... yes I now own three case tractors lol.... I'm not sure if I should thank yous for that or hate yous lol. I have the 1988 446, a 1982 444 and a 1982 446. The 444 is just a parts tractor and I most likely won't be keeping it.

The 1982 446 however is being turned into what I'm gonna call the "Super 446". I figured it was fitting since I'm a farmall fan. I will post more about that tractor this weekend. Just a hint.... it will be the cleanest, nicest, and actually useful working diesel swapped Case ever done, I can promise you that. I'm in the middle of it right now.

Here's the bunch

Here's the Super 446. This will just be a mechanical restore as well. No nice paint planed at this time.

Administrator
Welcome

Tips for newcomers...

Please go to your member profile and list your location. This helps when you want to price, sell, or buy something.

Detailed instructions can be found here --> https://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/89291-How-to-add-location-to-your-profile

Please resist the temptation to 'Look with your mouth'. 馃憤
The search box is on the TOP of every page.

Please take the time to at least scan the titles of the Frequently Asked Questions before you ask one of them.

Visit the technical library and see what a wide range type of information is available there.

Registered
1982 446 1988 446
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome

Tips for newcomers...

Please go to your member profile and list your location. This helps when you want to price, sell, or buy something.

Detailed instructions can be found here --> https://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/89291-How-to-add-location-to-your-profile

Please resist the temptation to 'Look with your mouth'. 馃憤
The search box is on the TOP of every page.

Please take the time to at least scan the titles of the Frequently Asked Questions before you ask one of them.

Visit the technical library and see what a wide range type of information is available there.
Yep way beyond all of that thanks

Registered
I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I've often mused about a nice little Kubota or Yanmar diesel swap myself. But there's nothing wrong with my 20hp Linamar/Onan, so it would be entirely unjustified!

It seems to me that the biggest hurdles are the extra length that the radiator demands, in conjunction with working out the precise location and particulars of the PTO pulley.

If you can make that all happen without lengthening the frame, it'll be very impressive!

Bob

Registered
1982 446 1988 446
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I probably won't be reinstalling the pto on the front. I don't want to get to much into it on this post, but I will be running a completely different hydraulic system, and any attachments will be hydraulic driven. Plans at the moment are a 3 point mower/brush hog like the case factory mower using an extra deck I have.

When you have the skills and equipment to do fabrication work, basically your time and wallet is all the limitations.

Like I said though I will post a new thread this weekend with progress and pictures of where the Super 446 stands.

Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
Welcome to the CCI forum Dan. Yep, it looks like you have the fever too. Welcome to the club and I'll be following your Super 446 thread!

Keep the 鉁
Harry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts