Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to replace the drive pulley on my J44 deck. The nut started off the spindel well but became more difficult towards the end. Now the threads look out of shape and the nut will not go on. The threads on the spindel look good. Does the spindel nut have a tapered thread? So it wedges itself on when you tighten it all the way?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The spindle nut is slightly deformed during the manufacturing process to make it lock onto the threads. If you look at all the flats on the side of the nut, you will see a mark that indicates where it was struck.

·
Administrator
3,406 Posts
I have a 3/4-16 die nut for chasing the threads on a spindle. I have loaned it out several times and I am willing to again. Send me a PM and we can get together. You can get a new nut for the pulley.
Bob MacGregor in CT :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More help please. Spindel nut question

Ok. Got a new spindel nut. Had to retap the threads on the spindel. Now I have it all together but whem I tighten down the nut onto the spindel it causes the spindel to bind when I try to turn the blades. If I loosen the nut it will turn freely. What am I doing wrong?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.