Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
case 222 quick question
does it matter which hose gets connected to the oil tank. i know one from pump and from oil cooler. but does it matter which one gets connected under the tank.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Yes .... it matters.

Check the Parts Manuals.

I'm pretty sure that you will see the oil consistently entering the BOTTOM of every cooler and exiting the top. Oil is pushing against gravity to keep the lines in the cooler filled 100 percent for maximum heat transfer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well just love the world wide web forums.
I GOT PARTS MANUAL PAGE 27 HYDRAULIC SYSTEM.
looks like unless i'm blind it DOESN'T show exactly where each one goes.
And i would like to know how its going to exit the top when both inlet and outlet are on bottom.
THANKS FOR THE GREAT HELP

·
Registered
67 Posts
The oil cooler is up flow. You really do want it that way as Tom said max liquid contact on the tubing through the exchanger. Liquids transfer heat much better than gasses or vapors, if you are in down flow you can get air pockets in the radiator if a vortex establishes itself or by chance if you run low which will reduce the effectiveness of the exchanger, probably not by much but why take the chance. Up flow always gaurantees full liquid surface contact.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
OK....... let's start over.

What's the serial number of YOUR tractor?

Are you asking about the cooler that was on your tractor originally?

Or are you asking about a cooler that you bought elsewhere?

You said that your tractor is a 1977 model with the steel tank. That means the tank is under the battery.

Look at this Parts Manual.. It covers the 1976/1977 tractors with the steel tank below the battery. Scroll down to page 52.

The hydraulic system is depicted. The cooler sits horizontally and the IN and OUT tubes are on the right side of the tractor. Perhaps.......you have your cooler turned the wrong way with both tubes facing down.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm talking about oil tank.
metal tank sitting under battery has 2 outlets.
does it matter which outlet you connect hose to , to go to pump or return line from oil cooler.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It shows that the line from the cooler goes to the back fitting on the tank and the
front fitting in the corner of the tank gets hooked up to the pump. :thumbsup:

Are both fittings on the bottom of your tank the same size?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
anixon92 said:
I'm talking about oil tank.
metal tank sitting under battery has 2 outlets.
does it matter which outlet you connect hose to , to go to pump or return line from oil cooler.
Do you realize how you phrased the SUBJECT LINE of your thread?

HELP WITH OIL COOLER

Would it not have been a lot clearer if you had said.....

HELP WITH OIL TANK

?????????????????

Stewart has it correct.

The LINK to the parts manual I gave, along with the page reference, clearly shows how the tank is to be plumbed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.