Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, can anyone please tell me how the heck I can get this off it just spins and no way to prevent it. I can't figure out how it come out?
Art Font Gas Tints and shades Graffiti

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind I got it, finally. there is one tiny spot (can't even see it) that you can put a wrench on, just at the end of the piston. it's a ridiculous design and the guy who designed should be taken out behind the wood shed. I could say that about a lot of things on this tractor. Good overall machine, but the engineers obviously never repaired anything in their lives and didn't consider that it would need to be done someday. Pardon my frustration but I'm about ready to dump this thing in the ocean as a mooring and tie my boat to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Brian I finally got it all back together but had a bugger of a time with it. The shift lever is aweful grindy. Feels like just metal grinding on metal, is that just because it has to break in a bit. Should I grease the banana plate and follower? Heading out for another gallon of oil, then I'll be firing it up to test it. Wish me luck.

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
1,918 Posts
I am of the mind: "ANY kind of grease is better'n no grease a'tall" My banana and follower have grease all over them. I have NOT seen the ball joints in a 7020, but worked on one of hte last 6020's built and it had the type of ball joint that Brian posted.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,213 Posts
The shift lever is aweful grindy. Feels like just metal grinding on metal, is that just because it has to break in a bit. Should I grease the banana plate and follower?
I'm guessing you have the ball joint pre-loaded one way or another.

The TCV on a 7020 has a 'return to center' feature. If it is forcing the ball joint hard against the follower bushing, it will be rough/grindy as you mention.

Adjust the ball joint a wee bit to eliminate the pre-load in neutral and then it should feel smooth.

Grease is fine and generally good for the slot. Will collect grime and so maintenance will be useful over time.

Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Brian I finally got it all back together but had a bugger of a time with it. The shift lever is aweful grindy. Feels like just metal grinding on metal, is that just because it has to break in a bit. Should I grease the banana plate and follower? Heading out for another gallon of oil, then I'll be firing it up to test it. Wish me luck.
I'm guessing you have the ball joint pre-loaded one way or another.

The TCV on a 7020 has a 'return to center' feature. If it is forcing the ball joint hard against the follower bushing, it will be rough/grindy as you mention.

Adjust the ball joint a wee bit to eliminate the pre-load in neutral and then it should feel smooth.

Grease is fine and generally good for the slot. Will collect grime and so maintenance will be useful over time.

Brian
Thanks Brian, Somehow or another I solved the grinding accidentally while adjusting the travel controls. I think I've finally got it right. I guess 7020 owners are not going to win any races with these tractors, They're definitely not the speediest things around. But all is working well now. Think I still have a few leaks to track down, small ones at that but still annoying. That will be my next task, Well after moving 4 pilles of wood chips left over by the tree guys that is.
Thanks, Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts