Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Neat little tractor. I'd have a hard time coughing up the asking price though. I found one at the Rogers flea market about 10 years ago but it was all hacked up and rigged up and I passed. I'll stumble onto another one some day.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Offered for auction is a Case 117 Hydrostatic Drive tractor and all the acessories that were available from Case when it was purchased new in 1972.

The following items are new. Seat, Electric Starter, Rotary Mower Drive belt.

I have numerous different extra drive belts that will go with it too.

The tractor starts and runs and has been used regularly to cut grass and blow snow since purchased.

There are no known mechanical problems with this unit.

The Tecumseh V70 7 HP engine was replaced in 2000 and runs fine.

The oil and air cleaner have been replaced regularly. All tires show very little wear.

Only regular maintenance has been done There has been no repainting or restoration work done.

There is some damage to the right rear fender and the bottom of the hood where it hits the frame when opened.

There is G41 34 Inch Rotary Mower, rear weight box, tire chains, headlights, G81 32 inch snow caster, and a G51 38 inch snow blade included as well as the original owners manual.

It does need new motor mounts/pads which I have and will be included in the sale.

This is a running working unit that could cut grass or blow snow from your driveway tomorrow.

But this is a prime piece that is really suitable for restoration.

Understandably this is a large heavy item to ship.

The item can be picked up in the northwest Chicago, Illinois area

or I am willing to put all the items on one large skid covered with vinyl sheeting for protection and ship it anywhere by truck freight.

The packing would be very inexpensive.

I already have the skid and materials and the truck freight would at the buyers expense.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Maynard,
You are not alone.

Since I have been on Case forums, the lawn tractors made by Case are RARELY, if ever, mentioned. I would like to change that because these are a worthy model for the collector world. The 117 is particularly desirable because it is not only the first LT introduced by Case but it is also the first one to use a hydrostatic drive and it, along with the 107 from the same years, is the only Case to use a Tecumseh engine. And I guess you could add that the 107/117 models were the first Case branded tractors to use a vertical shaft engine.

Many collectors treasure the Sunset tractors more than the Power Red models.

To me.... when you add up all those factors along with rarity, the 117 becomes desirable. This particular one is sort of a problem. Truthfully speaking, the Seller is offering a very nice lawn tractor that comes with deck, blower, blade and a recent engine that will still go out tomorrow and work hard for whomever buys it. It is a bargain in the sense of what you would have to spend today to buy something a lot newer that would perform those tasks. Because of that, I cannot fault him for his asking price. Just look at the condition of this 40 year old package. None of it is junk or even close to being junk.

On the flip side of the coin you have the collector world that normally does not care one whit about attachments, although they would make a novel display at a show. The other problem for the collector is that there is next to NO market for the attachments if he bought the package and tried to recover money from the deal.

The auction result will be interesting. I've been wrong before but I don't think this will sell for the asking price.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Tom, it sounds like we're on the same page. It is a nice package, and someone with a suburban lot would do well to purchase it to maintain their property. But like you said, a collector will be interested in the tractor only, and will wait for one to come along at a lower price. Though I realize the headlights were a factory option, I don't believe I've ever seen a 107 or 117 with them. Someone knew exactly what they wanted and evidently took excellent care of it (and vise-versa) for 40 years. I hope someone here ends up with it.
John

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Bob.... no such thing as dumb questions on this site.

The use of rectangular headlamps began in 1969 and those were made by the J. W. Speaker Corporation and were their 777 model. The 777 used lenses made of glass. Several other tractor brands also used these lamps.

Speaker introduced their model 780 headlamp a few years later that used the same metal bucket but employed a plastic lens instead of glass. Case dropped the 777's and went with the 780's sometime in 1973 or 74.

Headlamps were standard on all of the garden tractors but they were optional on the lawn tractors (107, 108, 117 & 118) in the early 70's . The grilles were stamped for the headlamp openings but the metal panel in the opening remained. If someone wanted to add headlamps, it was a simple task to finish punching out the panel to reveal the lamp opening and then install the headlamps.

The plastic lenses are fine when they are new but over time they get scratched and cloudy, thus cutting down the light output. And if you want to put in high wattage lamps, the plastic lenses will melt. That is why the 777's are so sought after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.