Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Big problem? Little problem? Or not a problem at all? Was gonna post this in the Kohler forum but in the interest of continuity figured I'd ask here., Like I mentioned earlier I'm waiting on hydraulic hose so started taking stock of the engine. A '72 K321A Spec: 60209D . And it appears there is nothing left from the governor other than the shaft in the block. All linkage and associated clips are gone. And it also appears that not all parts are still available and the ones that are... well looks like it would be $150 and still not have everything. Any and all control of engine rpms are from manual adjusting of throttle cable. I know the PO was running this way and thinking worse case scenario is that I will have to continue to do so. How much of a problem is this?
MikeC
You may get lucky and someone here will have the parts you need. Otherwise add a tach and you become the governor, kind of like driving a car down the road. When a load like climbing a hill you need to add throttle, and eez off when leveling out or going down hill. Mowing or snow blowing might be a bitch when the load lightens suddenly and the engine over revs.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
497 Posts
Big problem? Little problem? Or not a problem at all? Was gonna post this in the Kohler forum but in the interest of continuity figured I'd ask here., Like I mentioned earlier I'm waiting on hydraulic hose so started taking stock of the engine. A '72 K321A Spec: 60209D . And it appears there is nothing left from the governor other than the shaft in the block. All linkage and associated clips are gone. And it also appears that not all parts are still available and the ones that are... well looks like it would be $150 and still not have everything. Any and all control of engine rpms are from manual adjusting of throttle cable. I know the PO was running this way and thinking worse case scenario is that I will have to continue to do so. How much of a problem is this?
MikeC
Check eBay for a seller named mattverdill. I got a k321 block from him, from a 224 he was parting out, ask him if he still got all the governor parts you want. There are others on eBay parting out case tractors. The tell tale is that they sell some parts, obviously. Doesn't hurt to ask them for what you need.

Or get this assembly, and you might be 99% there

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
You may get lucky and someone here will have the parts you need. Otherwise add a tach and you become the governor, kind of like driving a car down the road. When a load like climbing a hill you need to add throttle, and eez off when leveling out or going down hill. Mowing or snow blowing might be a bitch when the load lightens suddenly and the engine over revs.
Cheers,
Gordy
That's sort of what I was thinking but then iko posted. This is probably gonna end up as wife's gardening run about so guess I don't want her having to be fiddling around with rpms. She can be a bit of a lead foot!:eek:

Check eBay for a seller named mattverdill. I got a k321 block from him, from a 224 he was parting out, ask him if he still got all the governor parts you want. There are others on eBay parting out case tractors. The tell tale is that they sell some parts, obviously. Doesn't hurt to ask them for what you need.
Or get this assembly, and you might be 99% there

Thanks for the link. How could I not get this? So I did! Just have to touch up the paint and it'll look like it was always there.
Hmmm, think it comes with assembly instructions?:rolleyes: Guess someone will have to take me a picture...:whistle:
MikeC

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Thank you so much for that. Much better than a reproduced drawing in a thrice copied PDF.
MikeC

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Forgot, the hose from the pump to the TCV arrived today. (Post 99) Two day service. Can't beat that. Ordered Mond morning and Fed Ex dropped it off this am. Thank you Brian.
MikeC

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Those short hoses sure don't flex much and trying to get your big old hand in there to try and bend, twist - well that's a real pain. Finally had to strip out all the electrical components behind the dash and finally with a long wrench on the swivel connection was able to twist enough and hold it in place while sneaking another wrench in an then turn, flip wrench, turn, flip wrench - well you get the idea. But main thing is, it's in.
Of course I did get a bit of a surprise. The old hose took a 7/8 wrench at the pump swivel fitting and a 1" which has always been the standard size for a #10 JIC fitting (at least in my experience.) Well I'm leaning under trying to get the wrench on it and nothing. Just couldn't get it to line up. Took the hose out and what do you know it's a 1 1/16 fitting. Down the street to my buddy and fortunately he has on. So no harm just found that to be strange but then again what the heck do I know?
MikeC

·
Registered
497 Posts
You're making progress and that's what really matters at the end of the day. Doesn't look like anything is gonna stop you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
You're making progress and that's what really matters at the end of the day. Doesn't look like anything is gonna stop you.
Thanks, Waiting for the governor and then hopefully fire it up. BTW the pix are gonna be big help but I do have a question. The top of the L shaped arm that attaches to the shaft doesn't show the top. I seem to remember that there is some sort of arm or spring attached there. But at my age "seem to remember" is just denial that my memory is in the crapper. As always, any help or ideas are appreciated.
MikeC

PS After following the link you sent (don't know why I didn't think to ck there since Joe's is one of my saved ebay sellers) I suddenly got several warnings that someone had signed in with my account and I should immediacy change my PW and blah blah blah. I wasn't paying attention (of course) and didn't realize when I ordered I was dealing through ebay CA. DUH! Sure I was because the fella that sent me the link is in Canada. But I did get the US price of $29(y) not the north of the border price of 37.:(

·
Registered
497 Posts
Your age sounds a little better than my age. Proof of that is that I have no other pictures of that area, but it looks like I could benefit as much as you from that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Your age sounds a little better than my age. Proof of that is that I have no other pictures of that area, but it looks like I could benefit as much as you from that.
Not sure what you mean by "better" but at 76 "wearing out" is probably a better terminology for me. :rolleyes:
And as for your posted manual link, clicking on it popped up and asked if I wanted to replace the one already there.:oops: Oh yeah, I already have that.o_O Probably ought to search my save files before I ask questions.:whistle:
MikeC

·
Administrator
5,996 Posts
This thread has great info for governors,, They are easy to setup, but there is a procedure to follow so the thing doesn't go wide open throttle for you,

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
This thread has great info for governors,, They are easy to setup, but there is a procedure to follow so the thing doesn't go wide open throttle for you,

Thank you Lionel. Three threads of info... hmm maybe enough for me to convince wife I need a laptop or at least a tablet to use in the shop.(y) Save me from running back and forth, not to mention tracking in, as I ck on computer to make sure I'm doing it right.:sneaky:
MikeC

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Thank you Lionel. Three threads of info... hmm maybe enough for me to convince wife I need a laptop or at least a tablet to use in the shop.(y) Save me from running back and forth, not to mention tracking in, as I ck on computer to make sure I'm doing it right.:sneaky:
MikeC
Tracking in to the computer and out to the shop is the only reason I have, to have a printer ;) Saves the trips (y)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Tracking in to the computer and out to the shop is the only reason I have, to have a printer ;) Saves the trips (y)

Cheers,
Gordy
Yeah, and then I upgraded to Win 10. Now everytime it updates I have to go through a nightmare of trying to find out why it is dropping it's connectivity. At least now I've got it where the "Problem Checker" gets it straightened out in 10 mins or so. Royal PIA.
MikeC

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yeah, and then I upgraded to Win 10. Now everytime it updates I have to go through a nightmare of trying to find out why it is dropping it's connectivity. At least now I've got it where the "Problem Checker" gets it straightened out in 10 mins or so. Royal PIA.
MikeC
People are still using windows? Really?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
MikeC
I hear you. The first thing I did with my last windows computers was to install Firefox OS, much better or at least it used to be. I tried a Mac that worked good, but hardware issues after the warranty made it too expensive.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
People are still using windows? Really?
Sorry to burst your bubble but YES several of us stone age denizens still cling to Windows. Can't afford Macs and haven't patience to learn about Linux, kernels, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu... o_O

I hear you. The first thing I did with my last windows computers was to install Firefox OS, much better or at least it used to be. I tried a Mac that worked good, but hardware issues after the warranty made it too expensive.

Cheers,
Gordy
But Firefox OS has been discontinued, last update in 2015 and in tech speak that makes it older than me. :D And just like FF OS was replaced by KaiOS, most of the new options seem to b designed with Smart Phone users in mind. :mad:
And once again this (stone age) guy and his flip phone can't, or won't do that. As Popeye says "I yam what I yam!"
MikeC

101 - 120 of 122 Posts