Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone, glad to be here.

Pretty new to the tractor world in general but have a small 10 acre wooded piece of land and need a machine to work it. Someone has a 448 in my area with a plow, snow blower, 2 mower decks and a brush vacuum.

The current owner says she is leaking oil and hes not sure from where but it seems on the underside of the engine, has to add oil every time and when its hot it drips pretty good under the tractor. Broken hour meter but over 1500, hydraulics seem to run well.

My question is more then anything if I'm getting myself into a hell of a mess and what's the right kind of money to take on such a headache?

Anyhow, thanks and look forward to learnin fb about these sweet little tractors.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,174 Posts
Welcome aboard. I hope you find the forum informative and entertaining.

Not a lot of information there to judge the money part. Oil leaks are common on these machines and in most cases fixed with a few hose replacements (sometimes even just good maintenance). Only way to sort out the source of an oil leak is to thoroughly clean the tractor first ... then going sleuthing for the source. Usually can't do that before making a purchase choice.

Are they adding oil to the engine? Or to the hydraulic system? You really want to keep the Onan engine at the right oil level.

Pictures would help

Brian
Salem Power Equipment
Plymouth, MI 48170
Case and Ingersoll Garden Tractors Parts
[email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast response, Bhildret.
Welcome aboard. I hope you find the forum informative and entertaining.

Not a lot of information there to judge the money part. Oil leaks are common on these machines and in most cases fixed with a few hose replacements (sometimes even just good maintenance). Only way to sort out the source of an oil leak is to thoroughly clean the tractor first ... then going sleuthing for the source. Usually can't do that before making a purchase choice.

Are they adding oil to the engine? Or to the hydraulic system? You really want to keep the Onan engine at the right oil level.

Pictures would help

Brian
Salem Power Equipment
Plymouth, MI 48170
Case and Ingersoll Garden Tractors Parts
[email protected]
Thanks for the fast reply, so here is what I've got

"2 mowers-models K or L 44" & 48", B98 hydraulic lawn vacuum w/all hoses and adapters to mower, 2 lawn carts, 1 large w/vacuum adapters and 1 small w/sideboards, front blade, 38" snow blower, 54" front blade, many belts and mower blades, tire chains for tractor."

This is what he told me about the leak

"Well, I am not sure where exactly the oil leak is. I had it to a shop some years ago and they told me they felt it was from the underside of the engine or along the lower side of the engine. After use it drips down under the tractor. I always checked the oil before each use and always needed to ad some oil, so when the engine gets hot, it drips pretty good under the tractor. The hour meter is not working, but it has a lot of hours on it, 1,500 at least. The O-ring on the dipstick needs to be replaced too so some oil did blow back out there - I have a temporary fix on that, but need to replace the O-ring. The hydraulic oil doesn't leak that I know of."

Also heres what I've got for pictures.

·
Administrator
6,110 Posts
Well, just like anything else, including trucks and cars, things have to be maintained. What's viewed in the pictures looks like a pretty decent haul, if the price is right.

As far as the oil leak,, not much to go on, but perhaps if it's motor oil, one of the seals is leaking, which probably speaks of a bearing problem. Nothing that can't be fixed, but it's all relative to your ability to do the work. To hire someone to do the work, doesn't work out that well. If you can do the work, well, these tractors will outlast a lot of us.

Most parts required to repair are available from dealers on this site,,

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
On the bright side we know it's NOT the seal behind the flywheel, there'd be oil everywhere. Still there are a number of gasket and rear seal to check out. If it was one of my Kohler KT-19's the first thing I'd check is the mechanical fuel pump gasket, those screws like to back out.

Cheer's
Gordy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, just like anything else, including trucks and cars, things have to be maintained. What's viewed in the pictures looks like a pretty decent haul, if the price is right.

As far as the oil leak,, not much to go on, but perhaps if it's motor oil, one of the seals is leaking, which probably speaks of a bearing problem. Nothing that can't be fixed, but it's all relative to your ability to do the work. To hire someone to do the work, doesn't work out that well. If you can do the work, well, these tractors will outlast a lot of us.

Most parts required to repair are available from dealers on this site,,
I think I wouldn't have too much trouble getting her apart and cleaned up then back together. If I pick it up I was wanting to tear it all apart and do a full rebuild and refurb on it anyhow. Good to know about the ability to source parts on site as well.

I appreciate the tips on the possible problems with it as well. They guy is asking 1900 for it, which seems a bit high, but I havnt really been able to figure out a good metric for evaluation yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the bright side we know it's NOT the seal behind the flywheel, there'd be oil everywhere. Still there are a number of gasket and rear seal to check out. If it was one of my Kohler KT-19's the first thing I'd check is the mechanical fuel pump gasket, those screws like to back out.

Cheer's
Gordy
I appreciate the input, group consensus is pointing towards seal issues it seems.

Seems to be a pretty active website too, this should be an informative place.

Thanks
Blake

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
You can’t go wrong with getting a case. They are incredible machines. If you have the ability to get take the tractor apart you should really consider listening to these people here.
As for price. It’s is all relative. If it was a running tractor. 1900 is a great deal. If you need a engine it will run you $500-1200. It’s sometimes cheaper to buy a whole tractor and swap engines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can’t go wrong with getting a case. They are incredible machines. If you have the ability to get take the tractor apart you should really consider listening to these people here.
As for price. It’s is all relative. If it was a running tractor. 1900 is a great deal. If you need a engine it will run you $500-1200. It’s sometimes cheaper to buy a whole tractor and swap engines.
From everything I have read, these things are quite stout.

Are you saying that the tractor by itself is a good deal or with the attachments? I'm still trying to gauge the monetary value of these machines.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Prices do vary by region and condition. But around here in MN,
a running 448 would bring $900 - 1200,
the push blade 250 - 350,
each mower deck 200 - 300,
the big cart with vac 600 - 900,
The little cart is an odd one, to the right collector maybe 400,
the snow caster 200 - 400

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
2,784 Posts
Welcome

Tips for newcomers...

Please go to your member profile and list your location. This helps when you want to price, sell, or buy something.

Detailed instructions can be found here --> How to add location to your profile.

Please resist the temptation to 'Look with your mouth'. 👍
The search box is on the TOP of every page.

Please take the time to at least scan the titles of the Frequently Asked Questions before you ask one of them.

Visit the technical library and see what a wide range type of information is available there.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
From everything I have read, these things are quite stout.

Are you saying that the tractor by itself is a good deal or with the attachments? I'm still trying to gauge the monetary value of these machines.
A good straight tractor will go for $1500-2500 in mass.
the rest of the attachments range
Mower deck 200-400
Plow 200-400
Snow caster 250-450
Hydra vac is 450-700
Trailer ???? Never seen one
Rear hydraulic pto 200-300

I would think if you are comfortable with addressing the oil leak jump on it. These are great tractors and the community here is incredibly helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Northwoodssmit where do you call home? I saw this unit on CL, Isle MN, so you may be close ;) Here's the small cart for the others to see.

I assume these are the side boards for it.

Cheer's
Gordy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Northwoodssmit where do you call home? I saw this unit on CL, Isle MN, so you may be close ;) Here's the small cart for the others to see.

View attachment 122848

I assume these are the side boards for it.
View attachment 122849

Cheer's
Gordy
So me and the fella came to an agreement, just trying to finalize the date of pick up and I'll be bringing my first ever tractor home.

Gordy, I'm in cass county out inna woods. How about you?

I was trying to figure out what the hell those four panels where, thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
So me and the fella came to an agreement, just trying to finalize the date of pick up and I'll be bringing my first ever tractor home.

Gordy, I'm in cass county out inna woods. How about you?

I was trying to figure out what the hell those four panels where, thank you.
Hover your cursor over my avatar, it should show Maple lake MN.

Cheer's
Gordy

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,239 Posts
Northwoodssmith, Welcome to the forum and I hope your new to you purchase is good for you. As mentioned prices vary by location, kind of like supply and demand. In my area there are some but not an abundance, so I may have to pay more. Your bundle sure has a lot of attachments so that's a plus. I might add one suggestion as to the oil leak. Check the oil levels in the engine and the hydraulic oil tank. Try to see which one goes down after using it. It's been mentioned these machines do leak at times and they can be a pain to locate where exactly the leak is coming from. Good luck on your purchase and if you have any questions send in a post and someone will answer.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Northwoodssmith, Welcome to the forum and I hope your new to you purchase is good for you. As mentioned prices vary by location, kind of like supply and demand. In my area there are some but not an abundance, so I may have to pay more. Your bundle sure has a lot of attachments so that's a plus. I might add one suggestion as to the oil leak. Check the oil levels in the engine and the hydraulic oil tank. Try to see which one goes down after using it. It's been mentioned these machines do leak at times and they can be a pain to locate where exactly the leak is coming from. Good luck on your purchase and if you have any questions send in a post and someone will answer.

Keep the Peace
Harry
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome. I just got her picked up today! When I get home and unloaded I'll start a new thread with some photos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts