Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of you have seen the articulated loader tractor I built, but there may be some of you that have not, and would like more information about it. I would like to direct you to the webpage I did while I was constructing it. I mostly did it so that I would have some documentation, but it also serves as a place for others to get ideas. The link can be found here: Birth of a Tractor

The "ArticIngerCase" will probably always be a "work in progress" and has since received a roof, ag tires, new loader valve with float, ignition and throttle controls moved up to the front, foot throttle, quick detachable bucket, and snow plow with power angle.

I hope you enjoy reading about my project, and are inspired to go build one of your own. I'll finish with one of the latest pictures I have.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow, is right. That is one project that may never be finished! Great job and keep going and keep posting the pictures!

Donkman

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. It's been a lot of fun creating this thing, not to mention all that I have learned. I think next on the list is to get rid of the tiller steering and instead, install an orbital valve and steering wheel. Here's the last video that was shot right after I installed the 19hp Kubota Diesel. It was a little down on power as I found out later that the air filter was very dirty. I really just wanted an excuse to try to add a video. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp2zzhavLog

·
Registered
34 Posts
It appears that you used an external snap ring, judging by the groove cut in the circumference of the cylindrical half, on the articulating joint which keeps the two halves of the tractor from pulling apart. Is it bearing against a thick washer or does it take the full brunt of the pull? Or did you switch to something beefier? I was thinking perhaps putting an external thread on it and say an 1 1/4 nut.
Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris Gorling said:
It appears that you used an external snap ring, judging by the groove cut in the circumference of the cylindrical half, on the articulating joint which keeps the two halves of the tractor from pulling apart. Is it bearing against a thick washer or does it take the full brunt of the pull? Or did you switch to something beefier? I was thinking perhaps putting an external thread on it and say an 1 1/4 nut.
Thanks
Chris
I'm assuming you are talking about this picture:

Those are not grooves. They are 1/4" thick sleeves over the 3" cast iron cylinder. The sleeves were welded or bolted into the one half of the frame, while the cylinder part was attached to the other half of the frame. This is what allows the roll action of the articulating joint.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ah- looks nice with the ag tires on it. I bet you like the plow with power angle also. I have a quick tach plow for my loader tractor but no angle on it-- a future project!

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
In this thread, there has been considerable mention of Dan Haas' stunning articulated effort but until now, I've not seen anyone post a photo. As it turns out, the Yahoo CCI group just changed the picture on their Home Page so I purloined it.

Dan powered his creation with a 27 hp Generac V-twin. Nice work, Dan. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
How do you find the tractor in the snow? I find the rear wheel drive to be very poor, even with lots of tire chain. Slight slopes on cement driveways get the tires spinning a lot. Backing up over small chunks of ice hang up those little front tires. I had a bigger rear wheel drive tractor in town a couple winters ago and without chains on the hardpack was near useless. I've since bought a tracked skidsteer, ASV 4810 that won't stop for anything, but it's too heavy to be hauling around. Your articulating unit has my interest. Would it be of any value to have the seat and controls rotate on a post for full bi-directional travel. I'm thinking the steering wheel could be done away with for joystick controls in each hand at the front of the armrests. What do you think? Have two Case 444's I could use, just have to finish the bulldozer that's been in my garage first.
Chris

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Chris,
Load the rear tires with RimGuard, add 100 pounds of wheel weight to each wheel and 300 pounds of weight tight to the rear of the tractor and then go play in the snow with a set of 2 link chains mounted snugly on turf tires.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Chris, I went a little over what Tom recomended with 140#s on each wheel but otherwise my 446 is set up like he said. I have moved snow with a lot of things up to a 950 Cat loader and pound for pound nothing moves snow like this little Case. Gregg

·
Banned
2,076 Posts
ArticIngerCase said:
A lot of you have seen the articulated loader tractor I built, but there may be some of you that have not, and would like more information about it. I would like to direct you to the webpage I did while I was constructing it. I mostly did it so that I would have some documentation, but it also serves as a place for others to get ideas. The link can be found here: Birth of a Tractor

The "ArticIngerCase" will probably always be a "work in progress" and has since received a roof, ag tires, new loader valve with float, ignition and throttle controls moved up to the front, foot throttle, quick detachable bucket, and snow plow with power angle.

I hope you enjoy reading about my project, and are inspired to go build one of your own. I'll finish with one of the latest pictures I have.

Nice job
Tell me why did you choose to have the engine in the rear, wont you a hard time to use other attachments or doo you want it to be a loader only?
Cheers!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I originally designed this to be a FEL only. That is why the engine is in the rear. I wanted as much counter weight as possible. I have since made the bucket quick detachable which allows me to attach my snow plow on the front which is also hydraulic angle. I have forks that will go on as well.

This is definitely a tool. I did not build it for show. I'm currently working on a large retaining wall project where all of the materials need to be moved from the front of the house to the rear. If I did not have this tractor, I wouldn't even attempt to tackle this.
This is all of the block:

and there is about 8 yards of gravel all to be moved by this little guy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts