Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Well, after a kafuffle of a day, all I got done was the fuel filler neck and some work on the tank:

I used an old intake U bend pipe I had lying around. I basically cut it in the middle and made it a J instead of a U. Cut out a flange and welded it to one end and the filler cap on the other.

Little bit messy as is, but a bit of clean up will have it looking at least passable. Its messy because the aluminum in the pipe seems to be pretty soft and it was a bit difficult to get it to flow and not drop away on me. So I had to go back and fill a few spots after I let it cool down.

The “kafuffle” of the day was my argon tank. Bought a bottle yesterday and the regulator was doing some weird bypass/relief noise and the reg would flow even with the flow valve closed. So it was a trip to the welding store, which broke the rhythm for the rest of the day.

I also refitted the ROPS since it goes over the fender where the fill cap will be:

Hopefully tomorrow doesn’t throw me another curve and I can get the fuel tank finished and move on to building the second hydraulic reservoir.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Decided I didn’t want to chance the little pulse pump being able to draw fuel from the rear of the tractor all the way forward and up to the carb. So I picked up a Facet pump, 40177n:

min press 1 psi, max 2 psi, 7 gpm, 24 “ lift. Should be just about right.

Plus, I can mount it in the back by the fuel tank. Thats good because most fuel pumps prefer to push fuel rather than pull it.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,139 Posts
These low pressure electric fuel pumps work terrific. I have them on two of my tractors. That should work great for you.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Decided to take a bit of a shortcut for the travel pedals rather than fabricate right from scratch. Found a set of jd lt180 pedals and bought the assembly for 35 bucks:

I was planning to build my own pedals, but this is a nice, easy prepackaged solution with all the geometry for the pedal interactions already worked out. Easy to mount and all I have to do is extend/make the lever to work the TCV link. Its a time and hassle saver. Worth the couple bucks I spent on it for sure.

Thank you, going to do it on my Case, also the stock Briggs pump I had one on my White tractor tank in rear and it worked fine, except after long shut down...........Curt
thats another reason I wanted an electric pump. No grinding away at the starter waiting for it to suck up enough fuel. Electric means hit the key to “on”, give it a few seconds to fill the float bowl, hit the starter and have it fire off almost right away.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Tank just about done:

You can see the outlet on the lower lh corner and the final side wall is welded in place. Added a couple “rails” on the bottom so the tank sits up off the deck a little bit. All thats left now is to add a vent, which will be tied into the filler neck. Probably just add a couple 1/8 pipe thread barbed nipples and call it done. I’ll likely also add a couple brackets on the front so I can bolt it down. The rear I’ll just add a piece of angle of flat to the chassis keep the tank locked down with the front brackets.

tractor’s systems are beginning to fill in now:

Real-estate is getting harder and harder to come by! Looking good though.

:)

·
Administrator
2,139 Posts
Nobrand the anvil would make a great hood ornament! LOL! The tractor is starting to take shape! Keep up the great effort!

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Nobrand the anvil would make a great hood ornament! LOL! The tractor is starting to take shape! Keep up the great effort!

Keep the Peace
Harry
Lol! It certainly would look cool. But, I have other more important uses for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #112 (Edited)
Started work on the tractor today. Just wasn’t getting anywhere, everything felt like a frustration and generally felt crappy all around.

jagged it in for the day after a few small jobs.

just wasn’t feeling it today.

i might be feeling some “hangover” effects of getting walloped in the side of the chest yesterday.

Was drilling a hole in the tank and before I could react the drill grabbed the aluminum and the tank went from 0 rpm to about 800 rpm and punched me in the rh side rib cage. It was a good enough hit that the tank went flying in one direction, the drill another and my body in another.

It was a 7/8 Silver and Demming bit, so I should have seen it coming the way I was working it. I know better and thats what happens the moment you get lazy or let your guard down.

I was working in a corner when it grabbed and the tank swung a full revolution so it had some momentum behind it when it slapped me in the ribs. Got some of the guts, the diaphragm and most of the side of the lung.

Took the wind out of me and had to lay down for a couple minutes right there on the shop floor. Felt ok after a little rest, but maybe some of the effects are still hanging on. No bruising, but that doesn’t mean my innards are feeling quite up to snuff yet.

I was at least lucky that the tank hit me broadside so the impact was spread over an 8”x8” area and not to sound like a tough guy, but I’m big enough that I can take a pretty good hit before getting hurt.

Still, that doesn’t mean I’m 100% after something like that.

at least I managed to clean up the shop a bit before calling it off.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Started work on the tractor today. Just wasn’t getting anywhere, everything felt like a frustration and generally felt crappy all around.

jagged it in for the day after a few small adjustments.

Yep some times you got to take a break step back and think...........Curt

·
Administrator
2,139 Posts
Every once in awhile you need to clean up, think the situation over before moving on. You have already done a lot!

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Administrator
5,996 Posts

jagged it in for the day after a few small jobs.

i might be feeling some “hangover” effects of getting walloped in the side of the chest yesterday.

Was drilling a hole in the tank and before I could react the drill grabbed the aluminum and the tank went from 0 rpm to about 800 rpm and punched me in the rh side rib cage. It was a good enough hit that the tank went flying in one direction, the drill another and my body in another.

It was a 7/8 Silver and Demming bit, so I should have seen it coming the way I was working it. I know better and thats what happens the moment you get lazy or let your guard down.

I was working in a corner when it grabbed and the tank swung a full revolution so it had some momentum behind it when it slapped me in the ribs. Got some of the guts, the diaphragm and most of the side of the lung.

Took the wind out of me and had to lay down for a couple minutes right there on the shop floor. Felt ok after a little rest, but maybe some of the effects are still hanging on. No bruising, but that doesn’t mean my innards are feeling quite up to snuff yet.

I was at least lucky that the tank hit me broadside so the impact was spread over an 8”x8” area and not to sound like a tough guy, but I’m big enough that I can take a pretty good hit before getting hurt.

Still, that doesn’t mean I’m 100% after something like that.

Hmm,
Not to interrupt your thread here, but I'll ask anyways,
Sounds like you took quite a wallop. The last time I had to lay down after getting hit like something like that, I ended up with a broken rib.

Can you take a full deep breath, or cough without it hurting like hell?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Hmm,
Not to interrupt your thread here, but I'll ask anyways,
Sounds like you took quite a wallop. The last time I had to lay down after getting hit like something like that, I ended up with a broken rib.

Can you take a full deep breath, or cough without it hurting like hell?
No broken ribs, just a good smack.

I appreciate your concern. I’m retired, 30 years of SAR. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Got tired of rolling around on the floor and trying to bend my broken old back to work on the tractor. So:

Thats an air over hydraulic motorcycle lift table. I had to take my project FJ1200 off to use it, but the bike is on the back burner for now anyways, or at least until the tractor is done. Only so many hours in the day.

The tractor was just a bit too wide for it so I took a couple loading ramps, bolted on some supports and bolted the ramps on.

Now I can wrench/cut/weld at whatever height I need and sit comfortably while I work. Thats an important element for a busted up old guy like myself.

The “wings” make it impossible to use the foot pump, but as I mentioned, its also air powered so raising it is easy peasy.

·
Administrator
2,139 Posts
Nobrand I know what you mean about getting the machine up to work on it. Crawling under than up again to get a tool then back again gets old real quick. I use a hydraulic lift made by Snapon with a 7000 lbs capacity. It works real well to work on tractors and the like. Many times I use it on one end to do welding projects, where I have a large piece of diamond plate.
Your tractor is really coming along, keep up the great job!

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Thought about the lift a little more and decided the ramp extensions might get in the way of getting in close enough when working. So 4 jackstands, remove 4 bolts and:

As an added bonus, I can remove all 4 wheels at once if I need to.

When it comes time to take it off the lift, slide the wings back on, install 4 bolts and roll it off.

Handy little setup!

101 - 119 of 119 Posts