Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to build a lawn roller to get rid of all the uneven spots in my lawn. I have had a backhow running through the yard for the last week and the AG tires are putting tracks in the lawn. Im looking to build one using a used 100lb or even a 420 lb propane tank. The tanks have rounded ends on them so I wont dig into the lawn when I make a tight turn.

Now I know a hard compressed lawn is NOT good for grass growth but I have no choice here. My yard looks like shit. I was toying with the idea of welding small triangular tabs on the roller to punch small holes in the ground as I roll it. This would be like rolling and aerating all in one step. Something like this:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/show ... photo/6678

Give me your opinions on this

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im rebuilding a stone retaining wall in the front of my house to make my driveway wider by about 10 more feet. I will take pics and post them here later one. Job is FREE.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just picked up 100lb propane tank for $10. I will be making a frame for it next week that hooks up to the trailer hitch. I am also going to make the tank removable so that I can swap it out for the plug aerator I am going to make. I'm just drawing up a design now that will utilize bearings and a mechanism that will allow mento swap out the attachments.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone here have a plug/core lawn aerator? If so then would yo umind taking a picture of the tines/spoons for me please? Id like to see how they are shaped. I would like to make an aerator attachment on the roller frame to cut down on multiple attachments being around the house. Im just trying to see if its worth doing since I can pick up a cheap 48" tow behind plug style for $160 from the big box store. Im not even sure I could make and stay under that cost considering most tines are about $5 each and I need at least 30 of them inlcuding all the brackets and axle setup.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If you want to borrow the roller I was just given you are more then welcome to it. It weights 920lbs filled with water. It is pretty dinged up but it may do the job for you. I am in RI not really that far from you. I was looking at the roller today and thinking I could make a smoker out of it. I could see / smell / taste the pig smoking on it now!!! If you would like to borrow it let me know. It is a tow behind, 3 foot x 48" 920lbs filled.

I have a plug aerator and I will take the photo's you need tomorrow it is to dark out to take them now. I bought a Brinly aerator and dethatcher both for 75 on craigslist. I see them often for sale. My aerator works great, I place 2 full cement blocks on it and 1 half block. When I aerate teh lawn looks like it is full of goose droppings.
If you do not see the photos posted by noon time send me an email or post a reminder here, memory is fading.

Mark

·
Registered
894 Posts
CASE 220/4 said:
Im looking to build a lawn roller to get rid of all the uneven spots in my lawn. I have had a backhow running through the yard for the last week and the AG tires are putting tracks in the lawn. Im looking to build one using a used 100lb or even a 420 lb propane tank. The tanks have rounded ends on them so I wont dig into the lawn when I make a tight turn.

Now I know a hard compressed lawn is NOT good for grass growth but I have no choice here. My yard looks like shit. I was toying with the idea of welding small triangular tabs on the roller to punch small holes in the ground as I roll it. This would be like rolling and aerating all in one step. Something like this:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/show ... photo/6678

Give me your opinions on this
I do not like the spikes, they are good for some overseeding but I was not impressed with the ability to aeration. I think you would be better off welding re-bar or studs to the drum, making them a on the long side so they leverage some soil out of the ground as they turn.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
markgru02919 said:
If you want to borrow the roller I was just given you are more then welcome to it. It weights 920lbs filled with water. It is pretty dinged up but it may do the job for you. I am in RI not really that far from you. I was looking at the roller today and thinking I could make a smoker out of it. I could see / smell / taste the pig smoking on it now!!! If you would like to borrow it let me know. It is a tow behind, 3 foot x 48" 920lbs filled.

I have a plug aerator and I will take the photo's you need tomorrow it is to dark out to take them now. I bought a Brinly aerator and dethatcher both for 75 on craigslist. I see them often for sale. My aerator works great, I place 2 full cement blocks on it and 1 half block. When I aerate teh lawn looks like it is full of goose droppings.
If you do not see the photos posted by noon time send me an email or post a reminder here, memory is fading.

Mark
Case 220/4
That seems like one heck of an offer, look at the pics of the man`s lawn, you can`t argue with results. :wave:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mark, thank you very much for the offer but I started making my own roller yesterday. I am going to make an attempt to make it so I can take the roller off and install a plug style aerator on it. This will cut down on the number of attachments I have lying around.

·
Registered
894 Posts
CASE 220/4 said:
Mark, thank you very much for the offer but I started making my own roller yesterday. I am going to make an attempt to make it so I can take the roller off and install a plug style aerator on it. This will cut down on the number of attachments I have lying around.
Post some pictures when it is done. I know what you mean about storing this stuff. There is never enough room. I have my dethatcher and aerator hanging on the back side of the shed. It is such a pain to start digging for what you need. I will post some photo's of the blades shortly.

·
Registered
894 Posts
CASE 220/4 said:
Does anyone here have a plug/core lawn aerator? If so then would yo umind taking a picture of the tines/spoons for me please? Id like to see how they are shaped. I would like to make an aerator attachment on the roller frame to cut down on multiple attachments being around the house. Im just trying to see if its worth doing since I can pick up a cheap 48" tow behind plug style for $160 from the big box store. Im not even sure I could make and stay under that cost considering most tines are about $5 each and I need at least 30 of them inlcuding all the brackets and axle setup.
Here are the tines:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hydriv said:
Nice, I like the 2nd one from the top. Imagine the stories these sheds could tell if they could talk. Not only that the things I could make with that old weathered wood. Thanks

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a few pics of where I am at with the lawn roller I am making. Like mentioned earlier, I used a 100 lb propane tank for the actual roller. The frame is being constructed from 1.5" square steel with a 1/8" wall thickness. I will be making a shelf on top of the roller to add more weight as needed since I will not get enough compaction with just the weight of the roller full of water.

I am also making this so that the roller can be removed and swapped for a core style aerator that I hope to make in the coming weeks. I have a lot fo big projects going on at once here so please bear with me for progress updates.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
CASE 220/4 said:
Im rebuilding a stone retaining wall in the front of my house to make my driveway wider by about 10 more feet. I will take pics and post them here later one. Job is FREE.
Here is the pics I said I would post of yet another project I am in the middle of doing. I can never seem to stop.

·
Registered
894 Posts
CASE 220/4 said:
[quote="CASE 220/4":u39bveg1]Im rebuilding a stone retaining wall in the front of my house to make my driveway wider by about 10 more feet. I will take pics and post them here later one. Job is FREE.
Here is the pics I said I would post of yet another project I am in the middle of doing. I can never seem to stop. [/quote:u39bveg1]

You are ambitious with the yard and roller, I envy you guys with these garages, you even have a bed in yours! :thumbsup: I have this little shed. When you said a 100 lb propane take I was thinking torch type tanks. How did you get both ends of the tanks the same? Did you use 2 tanks and cut the bottom off one and add to the other? Is this going to be a tow behind or a 3 point? Looks good looking forward to seeing it progress.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.