Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the previous owner of my Ingersoll 224 decided to vent the top of the hood by cutting a hole and pop-riveting a HVAC louvered grill over it. I have considered filling in the hole with flat sheetmetal, but ventilation is certainly beneficial. I am thinking of doing something like this, but reversing the scoop so that the opening is in the back to let heat out. What have others done? Does anyone know of a pre-made scoop that might work? I would say my opening is about 10" side to side and 6" front to back.

·
Premium Member
2,784 Posts
Unless you are snow blowing, you want the heat pushed out the front were it can dissipate some. I was told that was the main reason for the switching the orientation of the engine from flywheel forward (blowing the hot air back to the operator) to flywheel to the rear (blowing the heat out the front). In this link I gave the dimensions for the hood scoop, another option is to watch eBay for a hood.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @Gordy. The main use of my machine is for snowblowing. As I look through the hole in my hood, the front half is over the muffler heat shield so that is why I thought reversing it would be better to place the opening over the opening between the muffler and engine. I measured last night and the hole is roughly 10.5" x 7.5", so larger than the 448 hood scoop. I need to square up the edges of the hole and then fab a scoop. I can then place it in both directions and see which way I like best. I like to see my thoughts for a bottom flange for spot weld attachment is in keeping with how the factory did it. Other options have considered is buying a louvered panel or punched metal panel to weld in, but my butt weld skills are not great. With all that work, a replacement hood would probably be the smart move.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Not to hard take cereal box card board cut and bend to what you want, take it to steel supply and they can bend it for you. Drill holes in flange about 3/8" for rosette weld, turn it all over and spot weld through the holes with welder, don't take much.............Curt

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The scoop is almost done. I made it out of 16ga sheetmetal which is similar, if not the same as the hood. I could have saved my self some time by taking @curtisfox advise and letting a sheetmetal shop bend it up, but I did it myself using my bench vise a hand held sheetmetal bender intended for lighter gauges. I decided on the traditional front opening as it looked better. I made the opening 1" tall. Proportionally it looks good. The seams on the sides were good and tight. The seam that the back appeared much more of a lap joint, so I am blending the transition with bondo. I'll post some pictures.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like to see a before and after picture of this.
Here is the before. The previous owner cut a hole in the hood and installed a louvered aluminum HVAC return grill via pop-rivets. The aluminum louvers had cracked from vibration and I removed them leaving only the screen that was behind them.

I will try and snap some in progress photos tonight.

·
Administrator
8,253 Posts
You did good with the hole
It reminds me of the 448

My favorit Case Garden Tractor
bigman

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I am pretty handy, but body work is an art that is NOT in my wheel house. I doubt I will ever get it straight. At some point I will say good enough is good enough. The scoop/vent actually will actually end up requiring less body work than trying to patch in a flush panel and make that look good.

New decals are on on order from Maple Hunter. I think I am going to do the grill with krinkle black paint. I have some left over from the restoration of my Cobra valve covers. It will give it a little texture and hide any sins there.

I am actually a little excited to see how the new tires, Tru Powers in back and XTrac in front do in the snow this winter as snowblowing is the main use of this machine for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The hood vent is getting close to being ready for paint. I had to use the tractor this weekend and can certainly feel heat coming out of the vent when stopped. It seems these tractors had a problem with heat over the muffler bubbling paint and even with the vent my hood was getting pretty hot. I know there is a product called Lizard Skin that people will put on the floor boards of their hot rods to keep interior temps down, so I started to look for a heat reflective paint. What I found is an additive:

With shipping it is bit under $25. I figure I will mix it with Rust-Oleum and paint the underside of the hood. I will then paint over the Rust-Oleum that I have with the proper Case/Ingersoll paint. I'll report back. Fingers crossed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts