Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics of my first time ever plowing with a garden tractor. btw - That's my son in the pics.
The GT is a 1984 CASE 226. Re-powered with a newer style 16hp Onan that is equipped with an oil filter.
The plow is a 12" Brinley. I would recommend a 10" but with the size tires I have the 12" was kinda necessary. :lol:
It took a little time and effort, but before long I had it working very well.
I discovered I will need to add a gauge wheel to the plow to keep it at a consistent depth, then it will go along nice and smooth. It has a tendency to dive in when it reaches hard ground and it stops the GT in it's tracks or spins.
The deepest I was able to plow was about 6", but that was in very nice top soil that just rolled off so nicely. The harder ground is well... just that... harder! The relief valve was not liking me in that harder soil. :facepalm:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Hooked the 12" Brinley Plow on the 226 and tried breakin

This is what I had to do for weight. I'm working on getting some wheel weights put on it. I need about an extra 180 lbs. to properly pull it without burning rubber across the field. :lol: No really I was before adding the weight.
REAR WEIGHT:

FRONT WEIGHT: 50lbs. yes I made the bracket. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts

Mike: That's sweet. And now you can take it a little easier on the bench press! LOL So that's a pretty big area you are working on. Love dirt work! :trink: :trink: :trink: Thanks for sharing! :goodpost:
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
128 Posts

I pull a 12" brinly with my 444 I have around 150lbs on each wheel I know what you mean about hard ground and the relief valve the gauge wheel will help alot I have all the parts to do mine I soon as I get the 444s rear end back together

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

bigplow said:
I pull a 12" brinly with my 444 I have around 150lbs on each wheel I know what you mean about hard ground and the relief valve the gauge wheel will help alot I have all the parts to do mine I soon as I get the 444s rear end back together
I was going to put the plow on one of my 400 series cause I think the bigger wheels would make a big difference in pulling, along with the higher clearance, but my sleeve hitch is for the 200 series. I'm going to start building my gauge wheel for the plow tonight.
I'd love to see yours when you get it going.
Later;
Mike

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Nice job!

Instead of building a gauge wheel, try tuning the plow point angle with the adjusting screw. That should keep it from 'diving'.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Kenc said:
Nice job!

Instead of building a gauge wheel, try tuning the plow point angle with the adjusting screw. That should keep it from 'diving'.
Thanks, but I tried that with not much result. It helped a little. It mainly leveled the plow in the furrow which is good, but then wouldn't go in the ground when striking out a land.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I find that lowering the third arm mounting point on the tractor or raising it on the plow improves the way the plow enters the ground and causes it to flatten out when it reaches the proper depth. Anybody remember the 400 Case farm tractor? It had a mount for the third arm that bolted on over the PTO shaft that cause the plow to draft properly.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ducky said:
I find that lowering the third arm mounting point on the tractor or raising it on the plow improves the way the plow enters the ground and causes it to flatten out when it reaches the proper depth. Anybody remember the 400 Case farm tractor? It had a mount for the third arm that bolted on over the PTO shaft that cause the plow to draft properly.
My grandparents had an old CASE 400.
Keep in mind this a garden tractor with a sleeve type hitch with no 3 point hitch.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Mjoe7 said:
Ducky said:
My grandparents had an old CASE 400.
Keep in mind this a garden tractor with a sleeve type hitch with no 3 point hitch.
Sorry I missed that. Then the adjuster on the plow is your only adjustment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.