Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got a TCV I am going to use instead of a rear pto on my 448. I pretty much know what I have to do as far as hoses and the plumbing of them go. I will be capping off the lift side of the valve for future use, just using the travel side to run the log splitter I am going to build. This will run to the log splitter valve on the log splitter. Just want to know what you guys have done as far as attaching an engaging lever or cable with some sort of block/gate to lock it in place on the TCV and which direction (in or out) the spool should go. Any drawing or pics or any advise would be appreciated, thank you

Matt
Milford MI

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Where you ultimately mount the valve will dictate whether you use cables or levers to operate the spools. If you have a local TSC store with a hydraulics department, you might want to take the valve to them and talk to their resident Pro for direction as to what they can supply along with the costs.

OEM PTO valves operate in both directions (In and Out) so that the rototiller can be instantly reversed. However, there came a time when having a block of plate in place to prevent the valve from going in both directions was installed to protect the motors on chipper/shredders, Hydra-vac units and Hydra cutter mowers because their motors are directional sensitive. Your splitter is also directional sensitive because it likely has it's own relief port in the valve that operates the ram. Therefore, you need to pay attention to the flow of fluid delivered to that valve.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'd also make sure the relief setting on the 'aux' ('new' TCV valve) is higher than that on the log splitter valve. I dont know about cracking the OEM relief valve as often as I'd expect with a splitter to be very good for it (wear). Anybody use one for a splitter - a lot that is - and use it for relief?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Up here we use wood splitters with oil filters and pressure relief valves like in this schematic.

Why would you not be able to build one in line for your new application "splitter" ? and dial it down to be the first one to pop open when in trouble. :hard wood that is.

Just a thaught! :facepalm:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Matt I set one up on my 646 but have not yet used it because I don't have any attachments.

I cut a fine threaded bolt off that screws into the spool and drilled a hole into it for the master link and then used a cut off travel control lever for the actual lever, I believe I had to grind the width down a bit to fit to the master link - an idea I got from Rol Farrar's you can see on the yahoo site.

But your correct that there is no detent with this and the lever can just flop back and forth, so I am not done with it and I am still pondering a bracket that is perhaps spring loaded to keep tension on it and more importantly adjustable so the spool can be centered.

If you need a fitting source there is a new TSC in Ortonville and I also use a family owned outfit Contractors Hose Supply in Waterford 248-674-4673 - I know these folks quite well and they have a much better selection than TSC.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
"If you have a local TSC store with a hydraulics department, you might want to take the valve to them and talk to their resident Pro for direction as to what they can supply along with the costs."
Now that is funny. If you find a resident hydraulic pro at TSC please let me know.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
"But your correct that there is no detent with this and the lever can just flop back and forth, I am not done with it and I am still pondering a bracket that is perhaps spring loaded to keep tension on it and more importantly adjustable so the spool can be centered."
Can this issue be solved by just using a TCV with the 'dunce cap' containing the detent mechanism??? If I recall correctly, they detent in both directions.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Nutcase446 said:
"If you have a local TSC store with a hydraulics department, you might want to take the valve to them and talk to their resident Pro for direction as to what they can supply along with the costs."
Now that is funny. If you find a resident hydraulic pro at TSC please let me know.
Really? That is too bad. Here in Canada, we have a chain called Princess Auto which is more like your Harbor Freight chain then the TSC stores. In the PA store I frequent, there are at least three fully trained hydraulic Pro's on staff.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I don't think that they pay enough to get experts around here. I had a friend that went here for a PTO shaft for his 5' rotary cutter. They asked what kind of tractor it was on. When he told him Kubota they said: "we don't have any that fit Kubota". In fairness they are new to New England and maybe don't have the staffing where it needs to be yet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Kenc said:
Can this issue be solved by just using a TCV with the 'dunce cap' containing the detent mechanism??? If I recall correctly, they detent in both directions.
If your lucky enough to have had a quantity of travel valve cross your path, you would see that there are quite a few variables that have been used over the years when it comes to "dunce cap" operation.

The ultimate one for use as an aux valve that you prefer to turn on or off over variable fluid volume is one that has a full dunce cap (looks just like the lift side) on the travel spool, and inside, the poker sleeve has two detent dimples in each direction.

This gives you a low and high speed in each direction. With a valve like this, you could put a simple knob on it so you can pull or push into the notch you want. There is no self centering spring tension on it at all. It is important though to install a lock method that keeps it centered so that an accidental bump or kick doesn't dead head the line (though, the relief should protect you).

Otherwise, controlling the valve methods are whatever it takes. Rods, shafts, levers, knobs.... sky is the limit. Good luck !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.