Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, we talked about the reasons WHY you settled on these brands of tractors over all the other brands out there. Most of us know just how flexible they are and that the tractor itself is like the handle on a Swiss Army knife that is capable of holding many different tools for many different uses.

So, how about telling everyone what you own and how you make use of it?

Just as an example.......... you could say......... "I own a 1978 Case 446 that has the rear PTO, Flow Control Valve, Holding Valve and Sleeve Hitch. I cut grass with my 48" deck, blow snow with my 48" snowcaster, rototill my veggie garden with the tiller, use a log splitter for firewood and also have a utility blade for grading my driveway. I'm thinking seriously of getting a Hydra-Vac to solve my leaf collection problems in fall. My place is 2 acres in size and owning the Case saves me an immense amount of time keeping up the place."

If you compete in ploughing matches or you have a tractor that you Pull with in local matches, then let us know. If you have made custom attachments for your tractor, then please say so. If you have more than one work tractor, then describe how you have set each one up for a dedicated task such as snow clearing. If all you do is cut grass with it on your 1/4 acre parcel of land, we still want to hear from you. No use is insignificant in this thread. And to all you Lurkers out there, here is your golden opportunity to post something about yourself and your tractor that is definitely relevant. So..... no more excuses.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: How many ways do you use your Colt, Case or Ingersoll GT

OK....... sorry about feeling the need to make this very post but I am compelled to do so. This thread is a mere 20 minutes old and it has already had 9 views and not a single response. Why is that? Many of you come here to read because you like to learn from what you read. So...... are you just a Taker and not a Giver? What if we were all Taker's? What would you read then? What would you learn? Is that how your momma raised you? :lol:

C'mon guys.. step up here and tell us your story. :thumbsup: I promise you, it won't hurt a bit.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts

Ok Tom.I'm stepping up.You know the reason why I haven't posted,I don't own a Case.But I'm with you,why hasn't anyone else posted here yet.There have been 17 views already,at this point.

Maynard :canada:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

I don't use my Case for stinkin' nothing!

I got my 222 last fall and I am in the process of attempting to restore as per original. So, at this moment it is dismantled, lying in bits and pieces around my garage awaiting 70 degree temperatures in order to paint.

I am really anxious to get on with it. Meanwhile, I have my eye open for any attachments that may become available in my area. Lord willing, by this time next year, I will have mowed, pushed dirt and blown snow.

:canada:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

Nothing special here:
Use my 446 & 4020PS for the usual chores of mowing, plowing/blowing snow, and pulling a trailer for firewood and landscaping projects. Have only 1.5 acres and a 200' drive but I also mow part of the neighborhood common area and occasionally plow a portion of my deadend street. Tried the blade on dirt for the first time 2 wks ago, backfilling utility trenches, and was surprised that it worked quite well.
I find a lot of joy in maintaining and improving mechanical things as it just makes me happy to have a proper car / motorcycle/ tractor that gives me pride of ownership as well as the satisfaction of being able to repair it myself.
I`m a "user" not a "collector" :wave:

·
Registered
19 Posts

I have a 77 446 and a 89 3016 and use them whenever I can. The 446 is the most versatile of the two since it has the rear PTO and can use the tiller. The snowblower is set-up to run on the 446 too. But I have a front blade and lawn sweeper that work well on the 3016. Kinda nice having two so that my wife can hop on one and me on the other allowing us get the lawn mowed in a couple of hours. The tractors are work horses and easy to work on. However, the clutch is out on the 3016 and I am not looking forward to dropping $300 + on a new one, but really that is my fault as I didn't see the trampoline springs laying in the yard and I suspect the sudden stop fried the clutch.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Oh... I wouldn't be too quick to blame yourself. All electric clutches have a limited lifespan and they are often 100 percent throwaway devices. Mad Mackie may have some suggestions for you now that you have made everyone aware of your problem. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
894 Posts

I use my 4018 for snow removal, installing a lawn a few years back, cutting and maintaining the lawn, using the trailer to transport and dump mulch and taking the grandchildren for rides. Over the last couple of weeks I was finally able to to close of a temporary right of way across my property. After back filling behind the wall I used the blade to move some of the loam and the remainder was trailered to fill in some low areas in the yard and the remainder was piled in an area behind the shed. Imagine, February 4th and still able to dig and build a wall, frost only went down about 1 inch in the ground in RI, normally this time of year you would not get through the frost line. I hope photo's are ok here, I know I enjoy viewing them.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Darn it, I just hate having to look at photos. :lol: :lol:

Ok, here's the list.

210 - Project tractor. Currently stripped down to the rolling chassis awaiting warmer weather for sanding and painting. Then I'll see what the engine needs.

220 - Primary mowing tractor. Currently pulling the engine to do a quick re-ring, hoping to avoid a major rebuild so I can get it back together before the grass needs mowing. I'm also going to try to plumb in a remote travel/lift valve while I have it apart and plan to build a sleeve hitch and cylinder mount since the tractor has the armstrong deck lift.

222 with rear PTO and sleeve hitch - Primary gardening tractor. I've got the tiller, Brinly cultivator, Agrifab disc and a very heavy home built rear blade. I suspect the pump is getting tired since I can stall the tiller if I really try. Another project for some time in the future.

224 - Currently an unemployed snow blowing tractor. :sad: After it's super major engine rebuild last spring it took over the mowing duties from the tired 220. If the add on travel/lift valve works out well on the 220 this one will get similar treatment. I also have a 48" deck that came with the tractor that needs some attention, center spindle and new bearings all around as well as a little bit of welding here and there.

ByCo

·
Registered
877 Posts

"74-444: taking up a lot of room in my garage and also shop at work as it is all apart and being refurbished.
'76-444: Sitting in garage with a blade on front waiting on snow that won't be here this year. I have pushed some dirt around with it though. I'm gonna get rich when I develop a traction lock for these things! :ugeek: :sidelaugh:

Plan on doing some mowing with them and then go from there as time and money allow.

·
Registered
703 Posts

I have but one Case tractor thus far, that being a 1981 448 which I have used principally for snow removal on a challenging driveway. Apart from some steering gear upgrades, 54" blade, roll bar and a sleeve hitch, the 448 is pretty much as
I bought it 2 years ago. I must admit I am intrigued with the notion of a FEL. :grin:
Troll

·
Registered
160 Posts

I have a 1986-226 purchased for mowing and blowing, currently has a soft cab from a bolens on it,also a 1976-224, used mainly for blowing snow and having fun with,when i had a septic installed it was a real life-saver,made getting yard back into shape a lot easier and funner, its currently apart, being cleaned up and getting a fresh engine,have lots of youngsters looking forward to riding this, was first thing several in the family learned to drive,have used it with trailer, to pull our boat out of leantoo and to drag limbs to our firepit, love this little tractor Kyle

·
Registered
973 Posts

220-- grass cutter-- pulls the aerator---lawn roller and pulls the yard trailer . I work this little brute hard. It's amazing.
195-- just to look at .
446--that's another story .

·
Registered
571 Posts

A 3018ps that does:
1. Snowcasting
2. Mowing & mowing with hydra-vac
3. Pulling stuff (aerator, rototiller, dethatcher, roller, cart, turning plow, back blade, disk)
4. Pushing stuff (plow)
5. Stationary power (chipper)
6. A place to spend my discretionary cash.
7. Getting annoying to wife (see #6 above).

·
Registered
352 Posts

My main ride is a 1987 448 with rear hyd PTO and 3 point w/sleeve hitch adapter. I have a snowcaster for my 210' driveway, tiller for a small vegetable garden, a hydracutter to maintain 1.5 acre field once or twice a month, a J-32 splitter that I split 5 cords/year, 60" mower deck and a 48" back blade that I have never used and a vintage Case trailer that hauls everything that I ask it to.

My BABY is a 1975 646LBH. It has a long family history (good and bad) but now it is mine. I normally just stare at it in my garage and smile. :grin: Its main function is to dig test pits for septic system designs which is an important part of my income.

The project tractor is a 1974 646 with rear PTO and a newer HH-34 3 point hitch. This was torn down to the frame and slowly being restored. This might become my main ride if it ever gets finished.

Last is the good will tractor. It is a Case 150 that sat in a field and rotted for a very long time. Rather than letting it go to scrap, Hydriv talked me into saving it. Not sure if I will ever get to restore it, but I will make sure that someone does.

That's it, for now...

·
Registered
70 Posts

Hi Group, My favorite tractor is a 73 444. I cut grass, plow snow,till the garden,haul my firewood,brush, and such, and sometimes I just drive down the street to visit a neighbor. I have been doing maintainance on my 195, and 155. Soon I wish to hook up my hydravac on the 444. I also have the hydrabagger but I don't think I will ever use that. I have the three point hitch, so they may be a challenge . We just bought a home with 1.25 acres so I will be tilling untilled territory again, Bill Gebhardt

·
Registered
239 Posts

I have a 1980 Case 444 that has been in the family since 1990 ish and I have recently built a 3 point hitch for it for my college project. before my nan moved from her small holding 3 years ago I used to cut grass with a power white rear discharge mower deck, use it to roll anything that needed rolling and pulled various trailers with either logs, tree cuttings, cow muck, family members, water containers or anything else that needed to be moved around the field or garden

And before I was born (Oct 1992) my dad and granddad even had a tug of war with a car needless to say the car won!
they also had tractor races down the lane with the case, westwood ride on and the fergie te 20

a photo of me about 7 to 10 years ago

I now only get her out the shed once every few months and every summer I take her to the local vintage vehicle rally were I use her to lug trailers full of stuff around the field to help set the site up and park her up for people to look at.
I am slowly working on her to get her looking good after all the hard work she has done for us over the years, can't wait until I put the decals on after the final coat of paint

hope that wasnt too many photos; i have been sorting then out into folders so iv got over 100 of the case that i can now find in one folder

·
Registered
168 Posts

The 155 in my profile pic used to be worked *very* hard as a mower and snow plow. I learned how to metal prep on it's restoration, so it's not quite as nice up close as the pic suggests. It's now on light snow removal (all we get here in IN) and parade duty.

The 120 is currently mechanically restored, awaiting full resto this summer. This will be my primary show tractor and will probably be little more than a trailor queen.

My 130 had a paint job before I bought it, but needs a full resto, including an engine rebuild (it's currently a bit of a bug fogger). This is back-burner right now while I work on the 120, but will eventually end up alternating with the 120 for shows (my trailer can only haul one atm).

Yes, I own three GT's, and have a lawn barely large enough to turn them around in, let alone mow :roll:

Chris

·
Registered
87 Posts

I have a 1986 Case Ingersoll 446 (see avatar pic) I received from a family member 2 years ago. When I received it, the tractor wasn't in any condition to do any work, let alone drive around the yard due to numerous issues. It had spent much of it's life in southern Illinois, maintaining the grounds of a large nursing home.

After completely going through the tractor, I used it all last summer to mow my 2.5 acre lawn (typically twice a week). After setting up the deck, replacing spindle bearings, etc, the cut quality is amazing! No rear PTO, no 3-point, no sleeve hitch, no tiller, no log splitter, no wheel weights, no blade or snowthrower for winter fun. Only thing I received that was "extra", was a set of chains for the rear tires.

Hope to begin to add capability to his tractor for other chores. Many of the previously listed accessories I don't have yet, are on my short list. However, it now runs and operates just as it should and I really like it alot!

·
Registered
137 Posts

83' 446

Pushing, pulling, grading, and on rare occasion casting. I have a deck but haven't seen it in years. It's stored in my buddy's barn 15 miles away.

Al

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.