Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
Brad,

I found the original sales receipt for my '78 446 dated 15 July, 1978 from Sommers in Dale, Wisconsin. Here is the price:

Case 446 + J46 mower + H26 3 point hitch = $2,660.

Unfortunately the receipt doesn't itemize the tractor, mower and hitch but this should give you a rough idea of what your machine cost in 1977.

Tim

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish I could buy a new one for that much today...I would have to say these are some really simple reliable tough made garden tractors. If they made one today it probably would cost over $8000 but wouldn't be made near as good with lots of plastic.

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
brad said:
I wish I could buy a new one for that much today...I would have to say these are some really simple reliable tough made garden tractors. If they made one today it probably would cost over $8000 but wouldn't be made near as good with lots of plastic.
Brad, you are correct about the price of a new machine (Ingersoll) and yes, there are a few plastic parts on them (the dash most notably), but they are still the same rugged yet simple machines they were 30 years ago. As many members here will attest, it's the simplicity of the design and commonality between the product lines over the years that make these (Case/Ingersoll) machines great.
:thumbsup:

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,273 Posts
BushBoneYard said:
tss8690 said:
Brad,

I found the original sales receipt for my '78 446 dated 15 July, 1978 from Sommers in Dale, Wisconsin. Here is the price:

That would be $8789.72 today.......
I presume that is a value of the dollar conversion ...

We could easily transact a brand new 4018, RM48, with HH34 for well under that price ... could even toss in the 21hp engine and still come under that quite a bit ...

These have always been premium machines and still building them to last decades. Just a more modern engine, really.

Brian

·
Registered
894 Posts
I went out to the shed and got my tractor binder.

2006 Ingersoll 4018 $7,199 plus tax, price includes
18 HP Ingersoll 4018 Tractor
RM 48 Deck
SB42 Blower with wings
Wheel Weights
Tire Chains
Delivery

Blade UB54 625 + tax (Purchased in Spring of 2007)

·
Administrator
3,286 Posts
In 1976 my employer came up with a new Case 446. It was soon modified with a Mad Mackie version of a sleeve hitch with a 2" trailer ball. I installed my version of Poor Man's Power Steering using outboard motor lower unit bearings and washers. I also made up a hitch for the front and mounted a 2" trailer ball on it, I eventually converted it to a hydraulicly adjustsable mount. I also installed foot control using Bolens foot pedals. The yard crew moved, launched, and hauled boats in salt water with this tractor so it got rusted up in several years.
The price on it was $1,995 with no deck nor any attachments. They were a boat and power equipment dealer selling Johnson Outboards, several boat lines, Bolens, Gravely, Pioneer and Homelite chainsaws and hords of other stuff. By 1977 all the power equipment was gone and strictly boats.
Mad Mackie in CT :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,273 Posts
I remember my Dad buying 'box store' type lawn tractors in the 77-79 era ... I broke a few in the years before that. I remember they must have been around $650-750 ... just stuck in my mind there. I think they were 44" Dynamarks.

A quality product has always been expensive at the time ... I'll bet perhaps 1% of those 30+ year old box store tractors are still running.

Sometimes it just pays to buy quality ...

Brian

·
Registered
894 Posts
bhildret said:
I remember my Dad buying 'box store' type lawn tractors in the 77-79 era ... I broke a few in the years before that. I remember they must have been around $650-750 ... just stuck in my mind there. I think they were 44" Dynamarks.

A quality product has always been expensive at the time ... I'll bet perhaps 1% of those 30+ year old box store tractors are still running.

Sometimes it just pays to buy quality ...

Brian
I agree with you there Brian, My grandfathers old simplicity landlord is still running, My brother brought it to NC when he moved there from RI 4 years ago, It is taking care of 3 acres of cleared land, In 1989 I purchased my home and bought a very used 1970's vintage Sears Custom 10e in 89 also. My son has it today, it needs some TLC with new tie rod ends etc but it runs strong. At the same time of me buying my home my neighbor bought a new sears piece of crap and since 1989 he is on his 3rd tractor. I just wish I thought of craigslist and knew about these boards before buying my 4018, I would have been happy with a 400 series. I could not find anything decent used and made the plunge on a new tractor.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
tss8690 said:
Brad,

Unfortunately the receipt doesn't itemize the tractor, mower and hitch but this should give you a rough idea of what your machine cost in 1977.

Tim
Hi Brad.
In 1966 Adrian Sommer purchased his father's shares in the business and became the president of Service Motor Company. http://www.servicemotor.com/ they now have several stores.
In 1977 around the time your 446 was purchased Jim Sommer (Adrian's son) joined Service Motor Company and a new 100' x 84' addition was built onto the existing shop. It contained a new painting center, assembly area and garage area. Service Motor Company expanded by purchasing the Case Power & Equipment store in Fond Du Lac, WI. There were 10 employees.

My dad worked at the Fond Du Lac, WI Store most his life before retiring a few years ago as Service Manager.
We used to vacation and stay at Adrian Sommers cottage every year when I was a kid and he always had a new 446 there for us to mow the lawn with before we left. I have a couple of pictures of me and him together some place. I was just at the Dale, WI store a couple weeks ago and talked to his son who now runs the business. They still carry Ingersoll parts and is where I purchase all my stuff. I even saw some Ingersoll 20w40 oil on the shelf and a couple used Case Garden Tractors for sale!
I thought the members here would find that interesting.

Adrian is 2nd from the right holding the plaque. The older guy next to him is his dad. 1960's

The following 2 pictures are from the Dale store. early 60's late 1970's
CASE 930 Western Special...

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
I thought the members here would find that interesting.
Adrian is 2nd from the right holding the plaque. The older guy next to him is his dad. 1960's
CASE 930 Western Special...

Mike: That's neat. Thanks for sharing. Like that big Case with the dual wheels! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.