Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a possible project I've been thinking of taking on. I have a parts 220 with what may be a good motor I need to see if I can get it running, plus the tcv and rear axle from that along with another tcv and spare rear axle I got in a pile of parts I bought last year.

The final piece, a older two stroke par car with a smoked engine. Thinking transplant the 10hp from the 220 and either the case rear end or adapt the motor from a rear end to the existing rear axle. Control would be a heel toe footpedal to the tcv. Finally I would be able to used the lift side of the tcv to raise a dump bed.

Thoughts?

Rob

· Registered
79 Posts
Sounds good to me! Hopefully the lack of response to this didn't lead you to throw the idea out.

I think you should use the entire rear axle, for a couple of reasons. 1st big one: Simplicity. Adapting a hydraulic drive motor to the existing axle is a bunch of hassle. 2nd big one: low range! Having a low range means the cart should be able to pull just as much or more (due to possibly weighing more) than the original tractor.

The downsides of using the entire Case axle vs the cart axle.. 1st, possibly having to use wheel spacers to get out to an appropriate width. Luckily the 220 has the extremely common 5x4.5 bolt pattern for which car parts are WIDELY available including spacers. 2nd, losing the better wheel brakes. Case axle will have the benefit of hydrostatic braking, but its actual friction band brake is in my opinion weak and fragile in comparison to normal golf cart cable drum brakes. Not saying weak and fragile in general, just in comparison. If the thing doesn't end up weighing any more or going any faster or pulling more weight than the tractor would have, it will have the same acceptable result. If you plan to add a bunch of weight or pull a bunch of weight i would consider improving the braking situation somehow (but that's a later problem!).

So yeah, i say go for it. I have a semi-normal 36v golf cart i run on 48 (wheelies!!) and plan to add a dump bed and other weirdness to, and a different electric cart i am thinking of converting to gas using a riding mower setup. I'm all for doing crazy mods on golf carts, plus they are very useful utility vehicles if you have enough property.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good to me! Hopefully the lack of response to this didn't lead you to throw the idea out.

I think you should use the entire rear axle, for a couple of reasons. 1st big one: Simplicity. Adapting a hydraulic drive motor to the existing axle is a bunch of hassle. 2nd big one: low range! Having a low range means the cart should be able to pull just as much or more (due to possibly weighing more) than the original tractor.

The downsides of using the entire Case axle vs the cart axle.. 1st, possibly having to use wheel spacers to get out to an appropriate width. Luckily the 220 has the extremely common 5x4.5 bolt pattern for which car parts are WIDELY available including spacers. 2nd, losing the better wheel brakes. Case axle will have the benefit of hydrostatic braking, but its actual friction band brake is in my opinion weak and fragile in comparison to normal golf cart cable drum brakes. Not saying weak and fragile in general, just in comparison. If the thing doesn't end up weighing any more or going any faster or pulling more weight than the tractor would have, it will have the same acceptable result. If you plan to add a bunch of weight or pull a bunch of weight i would consider improving the braking situation somehow (but that's a later problem!).

So yeah, i say go for it. I have a semi-normal 36v golf cart i run on 48 (wheelies!!) and plan to add a dump bed and other weirdness to, and a different electric cart i am thinking of converting to gas using a riding mower setup. I'm all for doing crazy mods on golf carts, plus they are very useful utility vehicles if you have enough property.
No worries about lack of response. I was looking the cart over the other day, thinking if I cut the existing motor mounts out and use the framerails from the 220 it will be a lot less fabrication and welding plus have a mount for the oil cooler. Big piece is fitting inder the seat or behind the seat. Would have to see. It's been a busy Jan but maybe I'll drag the cart up by the shop and stake some measurements and get a layout mocked up in AD Inventor before getting the torch out. Axle width will be different but I agree spacers will fix that.

· Registered
79 Posts
The whole Case frame? I doubt that would fit, but since the Case is hydraulic drive you can basically stick the components anywhere and just get different length hoses. If you’re willing to remount the TCV and get hoses in place of the motor hardlines and maie your own linkage to actuate the travel valve, you could cut the whole middle out of a Case frame and reweld the engine section right in front of the axle section and probably fit that under the stock golf cart seat area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts