·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://centralmich.craigslist.org/grd/2347456962.html

Hydra Cutter - $650 (Tekonsha, MI)
Date: 2011-04-26, 2:23PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Used hydra-cutter for Ingersol Garden Tractor. Hydraulic drive system would work on other tractors with remotes. Unit is in very good condition. 4 foot wide cut.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

image 0

PostingID: 2347456962

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have the cash and the need for this mower. However, I do not have the 2 days it would take to go get it and get back home. I wonder if the seller would ship it freight, but that would sound like a scam to most anyone. These never come up for sale in the New England area, especially at this asking price.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
JSB Case said:
I have the cash and the need for this mower. However, I do not have the 2 days it would take to go get it and get back home. I wonder if the seller would ship it freight, but that would sound like a scam to most anyone. These never come up for sale in the New England area, especially at this asking price.
Deals like this don't last for long so I suggest if you really want it get on the phone NOW! I have made several purchases under similar circumstances by paying the seller in advance if he will hold it until I can make arrangements to pick the item up. There are members on the forum who may be willing to assist you by picking it up and helping with the transportation arrangements. I know there is a risk in paying in advance but at that price there is very little that could be wrong with it that you couldn't fix and still have a good deal.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here is my email to the seller:

Hello,
I am very interested in the hydracutter that you have for sale. I am located
in Alton, N.H. (03809) so distance is a bit of a problem. If you still have
the hydracutter available, and would entertain shipping it by freight, I
would be willing to pay your asking price plus the freight costs. Please
give me a call if you are interested, I would love to talk with you about
it.

Thank you,

Here is his response a couple hours later:

Sold it yesterday. About 2 hours after posting. Sorry.
Bob

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride...

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
It gives me no pleasure to say "I told you so" but the speed in which the Seller found a Buyer comes as no surprise. The Hydra-Cutter costs well over two grand to buy it new. That one probably would have brought at least $900.00 had he put it on e-Bay for six days.

What happened here with this listing is something I have seen many, many times in the past. When Charles, Jack and I were developing the concept for this site last year, I was adamant about putting these types of ads on the main forum instead of in another bulletin board. Every forum I have been on, members have shown up asking about such listings as to whether the asking price was fair market value. And while they were waiting for answers, someone else who already educated themselves, swooped down and snatched up the hot deals. My partners and I believe that this site should be about spreading the knowledge concerning these marques and trying to keep up with current values is just one more bit of knowledge that needs to be shared.

I am not faulting JSBCase in any way. He moved in a reasonable manner. All I am saying is that you have to educate yourself in advance so that you know a smokin' deal when you see it.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
JSB Case said:
Here is my email to the seller:

Hello,
I am very interested in the hydracutter that you have for sale. I am located
in Alton, N.H. (03809) so distance is a bit of a problem. If you still have
the hydracutter available, and would entertain shipping it by freight, I
would be willing to pay your asking price plus the freight costs. Please
give me a call if you are interested, I would love to talk with you about
it.

Thank you,
JSB,

In the spirit of constructive criticism, your email was pretty wishy washy and, if I were the seller, my reaction would be to wait a few days and see if someone else came along before I would get back to you. In a situation like this my email would be:

I will purchase your hydracutter for the asking price. Please contact me ASAP so I can make arrangements to pick it up.

This message tells the seller he has a buyer and, if he is honest, he will tell anyone who contacts him after you that the unit is sold or that a deal is pending. When he contacts you then you can tell him you will wire him the money or send him a check and ask if he is willing to store it until you can arrange the transportation. If he is uneasy about that then tell him you'll have a local friend come with cash to pick it up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bart said:
JSB,

In the spirit of constructive criticism, your email was pretty wishy washy and, if I were the seller, my reaction would be to wait a few days and see if someone else came along before I would get back to you. In a situation like this my email would be:

I will purchase your hydracutter for the asking price. Please contact me ASAP so I can make arrangements to pick it up.

This message tells the seller he has a buyer and, if he is honest, he will tell anyone who contacts him after you that the unit is sold or that a deal is pending. When he contacts you then you can tell him you will wire him the money or send him a check and ask if he is willing to store it until you can arrange the transportation. If he is uneasy about that then tell him you'll have a local friend come with cash to pick it up.
I agree Bart. I could have been a little more agressive with the purchase. Unfortunately, it was never going to pan out because it was sold before I even noticed the ad.

I will admit, at first, I was skeptical about all of the CL and ebay postings being on the main forum. But, items like this hydracutter are very rarely seen for sale in my area. (I have never actually seen one in person.) If it were not for these listings on this forum, I wouldn't have known about this hydracutter. Nor would I have the opportunity to make an attempt to buy it. For this reason, I say the listings can stay. :thumbup:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
JSB Case said:
If it were not for these listings on this forum, I wouldn't have known about this hydracutter. Nor would I have the opportunity to make an attempt to buy it. For this reason, I say the listings can stay. :thumbup:
Thank you.

This site was created to benefit the membership because without the membership, there is no purpose for the site to exist. Feedback like this, tells us that we are on the right track. :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.