Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a Hydracutter tomorrow that I bought on ebay, couple questions:

How wide is it ? Hoping it will fit in the back of my wife's minivan as it's a long drive - better fuel economy.

Secondly - my 446 has a 3 point, these are made for a sleeve hitch. Will a sleeve hitch adapter that mounts to my 3 point correctly adapt the hydracutter to my tractor ? Like this one ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Category-0-3-point- ... 0489042751?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The hydracutter is just a pull behind unit. It doesn't go on the sleeve hitch.
They're a 48" cut so it will probably be 50" or so wide.
Congratulations. That will be a cool attachment.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, didn't realize it was strictly pull behind. I was thinking of building a mechanism to mount it to the three point so it could be lifted, but after seeing the dimensions I realize it would be impractical. You'd probably need 300 pounds hanging on the front to counter the weight / length of the hydracutter.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Brian, regretfully I've come to the realization it's gonna have to be the Ram............ it COULD fit in the back of the Grand Caravan, but it would be up on an angle and risking damaging the interior.

It's just too far to drag the trailer though, drops the fuel mileage down to about 10, no way.......

I found another thread that listed the dimensions, supposed to be 50.5" wide by about 80" long. It'll go right in the bed, just gonna cost about twice as much in fuel. But I think I'm in it OK, paid $500 for the cutter.

Thanks - Jeff

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
screamineagle66 said:
It's just too far to drag the trailer though, drops the fuel mileage down to about 10, no way.......
You don't need a big trailer! I've hauled a lot of trailers of all sizes, shapes, etc. and the one I use for 90% of my tractor hauling trips is one I built 40 years ago (4' x 12' flatbed) and it has no discernible impact on mileage. Even my big tandem axle flat bed has minimal mileage impact unless it has a big tractor on it. The thing that really kills gas mileage is a trailer that has front or rear panels as they dramatically increase drag--the worst are the big enclosed trailers. The panels on all of my trailers fit in stake pockets so they are easily removed when not needed.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If I put just about any trailer behind my Ram, my mileage also drops to about 10mpg. That 5.9 gives me about 13.5 avg. and 14 on the hwy. on a good day. I know what Screamneagle is talking about.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would totally recommend that you build something for your 3-point. In my opinion, it is the only way to go. If you get tall grass clogging it up you can easily raise it up. As well, if the grass is real tall, sometimes I do a high cut and then a low. There are many advantages that I have experienced.

I have included pictures below on how mine works, but if you don't have a sleeve hitch adapter, you could just make a draw bar.

-Justin

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[/quote]

You don't need a big trailer! I've hauled a lot of trailers of all sizes, shapes, etc. and the one I use for 90% of my tractor hauling trips is one I built 40 years ago (4' x 12' flatbed) and it has no discernible impact on mileage. Even my big tandem axle flat bed has minimal mileage impact unless it has a big tractor on it. The thing that really kills gas mileage is a trailer that has front or rear panels as they dramatically increase drag--the worst are the big enclosed trailers. The panels on all of my trailers fit in stake pockets so they are easily removed when not needed.[/quote]

I fully understand the reasonings on what trailer will do what to what...........I build trailers. I don't keep a fleet of them for use, I have a heavy duty 14 foot single axle that I use for tractor hauling, and I know what it does to my truck.

Putting the cutter in the back of my Ram was no big deal, I wouldn't drag a tiny lightweight trailer around for what it took to put the cutter in my pickup bed. One guy on each side, lifted it up into the bed. No problem.......

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK....... hydracutter home, itching to put it to use........ but of course, an issue.

When I engage the PTO lever, it squeels like a pig in heat. Was not able to test it before bringing home, seller assures me it works correctly and that he tested it. Have no reason to not believe him......yet.

What would typically cause this ? Blades turn freely on the cutter, squeeling coming from my valve.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm confused...... by the manual, the hoses are routed the right way. However, when I removed the stop and engaged the PTO lever fully to the rear of the bracket, the deck engages. Don't know if it's running the right direction or in reverse however.

Does this sound like the hoses are reversed ? The manual shows the rear port of the valve going to the left side of the hydraulic motor (left as you look at the mower from the rear of the tractor, standing between the tractor and mower) and the front port to the right side. Thats how they are run.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The blades have an edge on only one side. Support the deck off the ground on something that will allow the blades to rotate without interference. Bump the PTO lever in the direction that was blocked off and see if the blades are spinning in the correct direction or not.

If they are, then the hose connections are reversed. Swap the hoses around and you will be good to go.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.