Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 6018 ingersol tractor about a year ago and it works fine except I can’t stop the hydraulic fluid leaks. I have replaced the valve and some fittings and it worked for a while, but then started again. I have taken it to the shop several times but as soon as I start working it starts leaking. I am wondering if I am using it too hard and maybe it is just too small.
Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
Firstly, I don't think you're using it too hard. Hydraulics is setup to have a pressure relief in place, for that reason. Most hydraulics I've worked on in my life, has these, so no,

Can you explain a bit more? Which valve did you replace? With a new one? Where are the leaks showing up? Hoses and fittings, or out of the valve spools?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly, I don't think you're using it too hard. Hydraulics is setup to have a pressure relief in place, for that reason. Most hydraulics I've worked on in my life, has these, so no,

Can you explain a bit more? Which valve did you replace? With a new one? Where are the leaks showing up? Hoses and fittings, or out of the valve spools?

I can try explaining better. When I bought the tractor the fittings on the main valve near the rear of the tractor were leaking a little. When I got looking at it I could see that the threads on one of the fittings was tweaked a little so I replaced the valve. i also replaced the shifting linkage because it was worn out and the tractor wouldn’t hardly move forward. It worked fine for a while, but the linkage messed up again and it started leaking from the fittings again. This time I took it to the shop and he went through the linkage and tightened up the fittings. Since then I have returned it to the shop 3 times and now it is leaking again. I am not a mechanic but it seems like a poor design. The heavy valve doesn’t have any brackets around it and is only held in place by the stiff hoses and fittings.

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
When you say the main valve near the rear,, is that the one under your feet, under the seat area? If so, it should have 2 bolts that secure it to the frame. The loader valve, the one behind the motor, should have 3 bolts to secure it down. This style has been around for quite a whiles and it seems to have worked for 20 plus years.

When you say the fittings were tweaked a bit, did you replace those fittings? To replace a valve, requires all the fittings to be taken off the old valve and put onto another valve, A new valve I suspect would be quite pricey,, how much did that set you back, a $1000 or so?

The shop that's worked on this tractor,, do they have the parts manual for this? If the lower valve, (TCV) isn't secured down, then yes, I think you'll get leaks steady from the thing just flexing around. Are you able to post a couple of good pictures of the under side where that valve is,, a picture decent enough that we can view the thing? Plus a picture of the main area between the rear seat support, and the steering pedestal,, ( where your feet would slide across from side to side)

Here's a parts manual, both valves can be found in there, and both valves are secured down.

As well, with a new valve, who setup the pressure relief? Do you remember what it's setup too?

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
1,904 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, its always good to have more loader owners here.

IMHO, your rear end casting is loose from the frame: Transmission Mods and Rants. Also the fittings in the valve are stock and you can certainly replace JUST the fittings. (also pictures of what you are working on will help..)

The fittings in the main valve, TCV are Industry # 6400-10-10 SAE # 10 M → JIC 10 M TCV IN & TCV motor out, & Motor IN & out ports (except for motor port where holding valve bolts up directly) Bad Hydraulic fluid leak in rear end 648 BHL

The loaders all use basically the same TCV, rear end, drive motor and lines. the only possible difference is if you have a really new 60xx or 70xx it would have a TCV with the integrated holding valve and NO valve block on the drive motor.

P.s. Where do you live, there might be someone in your neighborhood to take a second look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts