Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming the 3 way valve on the rear fender is the hydraulic implement control valve (forward/neutral/ reverse) Can this be bypassed? I am thinking looping a hose from one line to the other one forming a feed back loop?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Gregad511 said:
Assuming the 3 way valve on the rear fender is the hydraulic implement control valve (forward/neutral/ reverse) Can this be bypassed? I am thinking looping a hose from one line to the other one forming a feed back loop?
Most pics you see have a pigtail loop in place. Prevents deadheading the pump in case of accidental engagement.
Keeps the couplers from being fouled with dirt and also serves as one hose for implement hookup.
Leave the other hose looped on your tiller ( for example) and you`re always ready to go.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
It is always helpful to post the model number of the tractor you are referring to and even more helpful to include the serial number.

Valves mounted at the rear of the tractors are usually known as the Rear Hydraulic PTO Valve but on some models a Flow Control Valve was part and parcel with them. On tractors built after 1971, it was common practice to have one hose screwed into the work port of the valve that had a quick coupler on the other end of it. The mating half to that coupler was screwed into the other work port to allow the hose to be looped back to the mating coupler half and therefore create a by-pass hose when the PTO was not in use.

I don't wish appear like I'm splitting hairs here but the OEM PTO valve is a 3 position valve as opposed to being a 3 way valve.

Does the above answer your question?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hydriv said:
It is always helpful to post the model number of the tractor you are referring to and even more helpful to include the serial number.

Valves mounted at the rear of the tractors are usually known as the Rear Hydraulic PTO Valve but on some models a Flow Control Valve was part and parcel with them. On tractors built after 1971, it was common practice to have one hose screwed into the work port of the valve that had a quick coupler on the other end of it. The mating half to that coupler was screwed into the other work port to allow the hose to be looped back to the mating coupler half and therefore create a by-pass hose when the PTO was not in use.

I don't wish appear like I'm splitting hairs here but the OEM PTO valve is a 3 position valve as opposed to being a 3 way valve.

Does the above answer your question?
Well it is a Case 646 Serial 9791015

The valve is looped like this now. It needs new hoses and a rebuild because it is leaking also. So I want to just take it off for now, beings I don't and probably never use it. Why put the money into it for looks. Can I unhook it and just loop the two lines coming back to it? That is kind of what I was thinking.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Sorry. I misunderstood your question. the short answer is "yes" Your PTO valve in the neutral position is allowing the oil to circulate in the same way as your proposed modification

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Gregad511 said:
So I want to just take it off for now, beings I don't and probably never use it. Can I unhook it and just loop the two lines coming back to it? That is kind of what I was thinking.
Your solution is actually easier than you think, you just need to uninstall the PTO entirely. If you look under the tractor you will find one line from the PTO is connected to a hose and the other line is connected to the travel valve. Disconnect both of the PTO lines and connect the hose to the travel valve where one of the lines to the PTO was connected. You may also have to remove an extra fitting on the travel valve to connect the hose. When everything is disconnected/reconnected you can remove the PTO valve and bracket from the tractor then package it all up and you should be able to sell it as a kit to someone who needs it for around $150-200.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bart said:
Your solution is actually easier than you think, you just need to uninstall the PTO entirely. If you look under the tractor you will find one line from the PTO is connected to a hose and the other line is connected to the travel valve. Disconnect both of the PTO lines and connect the hose to the travel valve where one of the lines to the PTO was connected.
Bart, if the PTO was a factory installed option, I believe that the steel line that connects the pump to the PTO is one piece. The hose that you mention would not exist in this application like it does in the 200/400 series. My friend's 646 has one solid line that snakes from the pump all the way to the short hose that connects to the PTO. This would complicate things a little bit for the OP. To completely disconnect the PTO, he would have to remove this long steel line and replace it with a shorter line (steel or hose) from the pump to the travel valve. This may not be the case here, but it is very possible.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
JSB,
Assuming that you are displaying the correct diagram for the OP's tractor, his best move would be to have a bypass hose made up that would go between the pump output port and the inlet port on the travel/lift valve if he has no intention of ever using this PTO valve on the tractor again. Doing it that way would give him a highly saleable 600 Series PTO valve.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys,

I don't think I will sell it. I just want to eliminate the oil loss for now. Later I will put some new seals in it and new hoses and put it back on. I plan on bypassing it at the end of the steel hoses behind the axle were they come out from under the frame by the fender.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Gregad511 said:
I plan on bypassing it at the end of the steel hoses behind the axle were they come out from under the frame by the fender.
Sorry, I missed that we were talking about a 600 series but your plan sounds quite reasonable and easy to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.