Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum.. But I have a '78 222 and the Kohler is starting to get a little tired. I recently obtained a Kubota z482 2-cyl diesel that needs rebuilt. If it's not in too bad of shape it will be the donor motor when the Kohler finally decides to go. My question is, will I be able to reuse the Case hydraulic pump? If so, what adapter(s) would I need?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
7,994 Posts
Is this it?

http://www.kubotaengine.com/products/engines/vertical-diesel/kubota-super-mini-series/z482-e4b

Spec on this one states 3600 RPM Max.

If it is liquid cooled I think front PTO will be a challenge. I think also things may be very tight especially with hydraulic tank. Will you be mowing or using a snow caster with the new set up?

Sorry to discourage but I think you may be better off just rebuilding the Kohler.

If you proceed here are some initial questions that would be relevant.

Do you know what size/type of shaft is off crank? Can you take a pic of rear of engine? Look for a bolt pattern surrounding shaft too.

Rich

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I think that's a terrible idea! Ship it to me and remove the temptation. Seriously, the most difficult issues will be finding room for the radiator and fabbing a pump drive along with a mower pto..

I've sort of cosidered that for my 644. But no mower planned, ever, on it. Since my oil tank is up front it looks like the best fit would be to turn the engine with the fan to the back. Locate the radiator in the back of the engine and make a coupling to fit the flywheel to the pump. That would place the pump nearly under the oil tank which would be good

After considering it all, I'm going to install an Onan performer 20. I have the pump adapter on hand and if I wanted to install or sell it I could mount a PTO.

In your case, I'd rebuild the Kohler, or maybe go up to a 14 or 16hp K series.

·
Administrator
8,315 Posts
Jake:+1:
Just wanted to welcome you to the CCI Site.:thumbup:
Sounds like you have big plans, you have come to the right place and we have the right guys to help you out.:ugeek::welding::lol:
Enjoy your time here and thanks for joining our group.:thumbup:

bigman :trink:

·
Administrator
4,185 Posts
Hays Couplings will have the bellhousing and drive plate for the hydro pump. You might have to use a splined pump since it will be cheaper than a stub shaft for the crank. Top notch parts and people over there, helped me a lot with my compressor drive. Very cool engine, had one at the farm last summer for the garden tractor pull. It was in a sears suburban, at idle it sounds like 2 cylinder JD since it is an odd fire engine.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I'm just now replying guys!! I never got any notifications that there were replies and honestly I forgot to come back and check. But yes it is a 3600rpm motor, and I was able to get it running. It is liquid cooled and I have a radiator not too much larger than the original Kohler oil cooler, along with a matching electric fan. Front PTO wouldn't be that challenging by the looks of it but I wouldn't be opposed to hydraulically-driven mower deck or snowcaster.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I did a Vanguard repower in my 446 recently, and I got a hydraulic pump adapter from HydraMount www.hydramount.com. Dundee222 mentioned Hayes Couplings. I think they're a good company as well, but from what I understand they get their pump mounts from HydraMount. HydraMount was great to deal with. They said it would take a week to make my coupler, since it wasn't a size they normally stock, but I ordered it on a Monday and had it in my hands by Friday that same week!

·
Registered
151 Posts
If given a choice between having to rebuild either the Kubota or the Kohler for use in a Case 222, no question the Kohler would be the cheapest, easiest, fastest, to rebuild. The other "priceless" factor would be not having to refabricate or redesign anything on the tractor. Unless you have mad skills, repowering the Case with a Kubota water cooled is going to be a nightmare with no guarantee that you will continue to have the same functionality as the original kohler. The 12hp kohler is plenty of engine for the Case 222 and it fits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I currently have the Kubota running. Fitnent really won't be an issue as it's actually physically smaller than the Kohler. But you're right on the functionality and reliability. Neither of those is guaranteed after everything is custom fabbed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.