Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a good member and all :usa: I went to the FAQ's before asking this question.In the part that talks about oils and flushing of the system Rotella T in 20w-50 and "Varsol" are mentioned.Delo.Delvac &Rotella are no longer made in 20w-50 weight. They have all switched to 15w-40.What is everyone using for their hydraulic systems?Amsoil has an NG engine oil in 20w-40 but I imagine it is very expensive.Regular 20w-50 motor oil (Valvoline,Pennzoil,ect.) has very different characteristics from 20w-40 according to my research.Any thoughts?Also, Varsol is mentioned, but you cannot buy it in the USA...only Canada.Any of the experts have an alternative?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Varsol is nothing more than an Exxon/Mobil tradename for a Stoddart solvent.

Shellsol is the same thing, as are Stanisol, Mineral spirits, Petroleum Distillate or White Spirits.

These products are superior to diesel fuel when cleaning out a hydraulic system that is contaminated with water.

There are plenty of owners who are very happy with 15W40 for their hydraulic systems. There is no real reason that I know of to NOT use one of the well-known brands of motor oil that offer 20W50. Lubricants for diesels are formulated to deal with the problems that diesel engines have and those problems are substantially different from the needs of the Case hydraulic system that has no soot to deal with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What separates oil brands is their additive packages and its resistance to shearing to a lower viscosity from use. I've run used oil analysis' on two brands of oil in my 7.3 liter Powerstroke Diesel: Motorcraft and DELO. Further, I've seen the UOA for Rotella. FWIW, here's my thoughts.

First off, for those of you who are not familiar with the older Powerstrokes, they use an injection system that is referred to Hydraulic Electric Unit Injection (HEUI). The injectors are electrically controlled and hydraulically accuated (older CAT engines are also HEUI). Powerstrokes have two oil pumps: A Low Pressure Oil Pump (LPOP) for circulating oil throughout the motor and a High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) that uses the oil as a hydraulic fluid to power the injectors. The HPOP varies the hydraulic pressure to the injectors depending on engine load; pressure at idle is about 500 PSI and pressure at WOT is about 3000 PSI.

Using the oil as hydraulic fluid is very tough on it and will cause it to shear to less than a 40 weight over time; the question is how much time. Motorcraft (the OEM brand) sheared much faster than DELO. It just barely hung onto a 40 weight rating after 3100 miles whereas DELO was comfortably within the 40 weight range after 4500 miles. DELO hardly shears at all at 3000 miles. The Rotella UOA I saw showed it shearing less than Motorcraft but more than DELO.

In terms of additive packages, DELO has one of the best in the business (Shaeffer's probably being best). The antiwear package DELO has is designed for increased engine life.

One other point: Switching brands frequently is not recommended. It usually takes a motor an oil change interval or two to get used to a new brand. It is quite common for trace wear metals (iron, copper, lead, etc) to spike for a while before settling down after changing brands.

The above all could be meaningless for the application we are interested in here. Is a superior antiwear additive package necessary in our hydraulic systems? If we change out the hydraulic oil once a year, how much does shear matter? I will probably do a UOA just out of curiousity on that last point.

Clean oil is the most important point of all.
Best,
Jim

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your comments.Good information like this is why this is the best forum for Case in the world! :thumbsup: In my research I found that Rotella T 15W-40 has almost the same exact Kimatic Viscosity ratings at 40C and 100C as the 20W-40 Amsoil.It is really cheap at Sam's Club, so I guess I will go with the Rotella T non-synth. Thank you all again! :goodpost:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
In my experience the 'perfect' lubricant for all applications / uses of a drivetrain (or anything else) does not exist. You can develop or test for ones that are better at high torque / low speed. Same goes for high speed and low torque. Or for bearings vs. sliding gear mesh areas, etc. I'm not worrying about my tractor one bit other than changing the lube out at midsummer and end of summer. Maybe more if it ends up getting used a lot more.

15W-40 Rotella T was like $10.50 for a four or five quart jug at Walmart a month or so ago. I picked up a couple of em.

What I'm working on now is a quick and easy setup to kidney loop this thing with an inexpensive spin on filter setup. Sort of doing what is explained elsewhere on this site using the pto loop except in the return.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:headscratcher: :headscratcher: :headscratcher: Jeez...I'm not having any luck at all.....I went to Northern Tool to buy a #4020 filter and its no longer available.They have other ones that cost twice as much!!! :facepalm: I looked up the hydraulic filter arrangement Ingersoll uses on the 4000 series tractors and am waiting on a quote from Brian H. to see how much the bits are. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.