Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Harry I have a Case 224 that I am in process of bringing it back to life. Technically I haven’t worked it yet, can’t wait to, I have a JD 790 farm tractor , a JD 345, and a JD 240 project….

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,578 Posts
So you can see the hydraulic motor bolted to the rear end of the tractor, which is powered by the hydraulic pump behind the engine!

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,578 Posts
Woody, here is a pic of the hydraulic motor that drives the rear axle assembly. It is located on the left side of the tractor as you sit on it. It is the round object painted power red in the pic.

Keep the Peace
Harry

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Can you post a picture of this, still not comprehending
With a Case/Ingersoll you have hard pipes pushing hydraulic fluid to a hydraulic motor that is mounted to the rear axle housing. That motor spins the differential when the drive valve is activated. The valve is reversible making the hydraulic motor spin in either direction for forward and reverse. Typically, the only belt is used on the front of the engine to drive the mower deck or snowcaster. There were later models that even powered the deck and caster via hydraulics. The other exception to a one belt setup is if it is an early tractor with a starter/generator.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Can you post a picture of this, still not comprehending
As others have said, it has a PTO belt up front, for driving the mower blades or whatever. But the drive is strictly hydraulic powered: Coming off the back of the engine there is no belt, no clutch, no gears, no chain. There is only an hydraulic pump, Connected to that pump is the main hydraulic valve, and connected to that valve is the hydraulic motor that's bolted strait to the rear transaxle. (The rear transaxle has "hi", "low", and neutral settings.) It uses nothing but hydraulic pressure/flow to propel the tractor.

Bob

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks guys, I think I got it, I kept thinking about my log splitter
Think of the drive control valve as your log splitter valve. Instead of directing fluid to the ram, it directs it to the hydraulic drive motor in either one direction or the other giving you forward or reverse.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks guys, I have the log splitter setup on the rear, that’s was what drew me to these tractors, I am the second owner of it , and cannot wait to finish getting it completed to put it work…. I will take pictures of her when the guy will finish helping me with bringing her back to life.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks guys, I have the log splitter setup on the rear, that’s was what drew me to these tractors, I am the second owner of it , and cannot wait to finish getting it completed to put it work…. I will take pictures of her when the guy will finish helping me with bringing her back to life.
Same for me. One thing to be aware, the rear hydraulic PTO valve for these tractors do not have an automatic detent that will pop out and allow the valve to go to the by pass (neutral) position automatically. It is totally manual. As such, It is VERY important to run a bypass hose between the two outlets on your PTO when you do not have an implement attached. Not doing so can deadhead the pump (no place for fluid to flow) and that will kill a pump pretty quickly. I ran mine with out a bypass for awhile and it would occasionally get bumped out of neutral. Not good. Some install one implement line on the tractor and one on the implement and then just loop each line the the opposite quick connect for storage. Keeps everything clean too. I installed an 18" line on my tractor for a loop because I wanted it as short as possible.

My log splitter was home made and I relied on the PTO valve to operate it. I finally bit the bullet and bought a proper log splitter valve to operate the splitter so that it would not deadhead at the end of stroke. The PTO valve became just a master on/off and I controlled the the log splitter with the log splitter valve.

·
Administrator
2,875 Posts
So another question , I know hydrostatic drivetrain is belt driven, same with older geared lawn mowers, how does the hydro run. Thanks
A good video

21 - 38 of 38 Posts