Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Re: I dont even know where to put this.....Most Unique Inger

The Amish are a tight-knit community that is trying to survive in a world that continually impacts on their life-style. Just like many religions, the Amish have split into different sects. Some sects are more liberal than other ones. In particular, one sect holds that steel wheels be used on all self-powered machinery. This is done because the elders do not want community members using tractors as a method of personal travel. If a member wishes to go into town or visit a neighbour, friend or relative.... then she or he are supposed to hitch up a horse to a buggy and use that. I have seen photos of skid steer loaders with Amish-made steel wheels on all four corners. Some sects will not allow members to use tractors in the field. They allow only horse-drawn equipment. The Amish are known for large families and that fact has exerted a lot of pressure on the communities. There is only so much land available and you cannot divide existing farms again and again because if you do, then there is no way for the farm to be viable because it is just too small to sustain itself.

Another issue is jobs for all the men. One tractor can outwork several men, thus reducing the availability of local jobs. The Amish do not want their sons and daughters being forced to find jobs outside of the community. The Amish steel wheels are often at odds with the local municipality that governs the area because those wheels are not friendly to the pavement. If there ever was a classic image that defines the Amish, it is a farmer behind a plow being pulled by a team of Belgians or Clydesdales out in a large field. A farmer sitting on a tractor does not evoke the same sort of recognition of the Amish people. Here are four photos of tractors with steel wheels made by Amish blacksmiths.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Hydriv said:
Are you sure those are steel on the Cub? It almost looks like blocks of wood for the spokes.
And I think a steel wheeled 1845 would make you want to leave.
But momma says she's not riding no buggy to town. :thumbsup:
That would be a great commercial "Subaru, were even converting the Amish"

·
Banned
12,618 Posts

Never underestimate the ingenuity of the Amish.

I suspect that you are looking at rubber pucks on those rear wheels to try and get a bit of give in the design. I have seen other attempts to do this by using coil springs in the spoke area. The number of differing wheel designs is staggering.

I have run Case skid steer loaders with solid rubber tires and with steel wheels (Air Boss) that have solid rubber segments bolted on to them. They are not fun to operate for a ten hour stretch. The Amish wheels might not be as bad as you think if you are on soft soil but driving on pavement or hard pack would be brutal.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I've seen plenty of mid-full size machines with steelies, just never a garden tractor.

Hydriv, that last photo is very nice looking. I rather enjoy the use of light creeping through the boards., thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Re: I don' even know where to put this.....Most Unique Inger

The Amish folks by me don't use tractors. They can use an engine to power the implement, but not to drive the wheels. So, I have seen horse drawn manure spreaders with small engines driving the belt and impeller arms. Also, guys pushing 42" or so large area lawn mowers, where the blades are hooked up to the engine, but the drive wheels are not (sweating furiously). Theres a store here that use diesel powered reefer units from trailers to keep their food cold/frozen. Those reefer units are running day and night as far as I can tell.

Paul

·
Banned
12,618 Posts

Something like this????

And this????

And if you happen to get your tractor trailer rig a bit stuck while traveling through Amish country, then a helping hand is often as close as the nearest farmhouse. It's amazing what a four-horse team of cold bloods can do.

The Amish may drive horse and buggies but they still understand modern conveniences such as drive-through banking.

·
Registered
571 Posts

......yes something like that. The guys around me don't have such nice looking equipment, though. There has been a general influx of Amish families into my area, so they might be a newer group and not as well established financially. They also ride these adult-sized scooters around. I guess using pedals and chain/gears on your bike is somehow "cheating". The families and businesses that I have had dealings with have all been positive and fair transactions.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts

ing3018 said:
. The families and businesses that I have had dealings with have all been positive and fair transactions.
That is the Amish way.

They have a pretty strict code of conduct in their community. Those who commit serious violations are shunned by everyone. They become invisible to everyone. No one will speak to them, acknowledge their existence in any way and that includes doing business with them. Those who fall to that status often leave the community for good, never to return.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.