Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously though...I can't seem to help myself!
Today I went out to the barn to attach the snowcaster to my 224. I looked at the mule drive and thought, "This just won't do."
It was rusted badly. So... I decided to grind it, sand it and paint it.
So I did.
Then, I inspected the caster itself. Same thought process...except I decided to only "hit" the inside as the outside wasn't THAT bad. but OF COURSE, as I dug into it, I found myself thinking that I might as well tackle the whole thing and have something decent in the end.
But... that's not just a Mule Drive...it's a... PROJECT and a half! I spent all day...12 hours on it...and have the sanding/grinding almost complete (NASTY job!). :crazy:
Tomorrow I'll finish the prep and hopefully get it completed.
I'll post pics when it's finished.

I was able to see enough of the PIN to ID it as an N80.

Bottom line... I have some sort of disorder! I can NEVER leave things "well enough alone!"
My life would be SOOOO much easier if I could just be satisfied with things in their present condition...EVER! :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Bottom line... I have some sort of disorder! I can NEVER leave things "well enough alone!"
My life would be SOOOO much easier if I could just be satisfied with things in their present condition...EVER! :sidelaugh:
These symptoms are characteristic of the CCI Tractor addiction!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did I say this was a JOB AND A HALF?

Hmmm.... now that I FINALLY have paint on her let me re-phrase that:
This was a Job TIMES TWENTY!!!!!!

Of all the paint jobs I have done, Snowblowers are BY FAR my least favorite! THis was my 2nd one (1st was a JD) and maybe it's the grease, or maybe it's the Auger always IN THE WAY...or both... but WHAT A PITA!

I never did get the inside of the housing even close to prefect...quarters TOO CRAMPED and I didnt want to remove the Auger...but It came out pretty good!

I'll try my darndest NEVER to "resto" a blower again!
Famous last words, I know!

pics coming soon...
Anyone have a line on Decals for an N80?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, that does NOT help!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha

...SERIOUSLY????????

The Auger on my 42" JD took a PHD to get [email protected]!!!
hmnmmmmm
Welp...that DOES help in that there may be another Caster in my future that I normally would not want to paint.,..but knowing its a 2 bolt affair I'll go for it if and when the time comes!

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,291 Posts
Yep ... but you do need one odd tool, which is a very thin 3/4" wrench, to hold the auger stub axle while loosening the bolt. Tappet wrenchs get the trick done, as does an old cheapo run across the grinder for a few minutes.

Unbolt the ends of the auger ... finesse the main sprocket out of the chain ... or separate the master line first and save yourself 3 minutes of fussing with the chain as it goes back in ... that's it ... whole auger drops out in less than 5 minutes.

Admittedly the older J-L snowcasters are different ... there are 4 bolts, but you don't need that pesky special tool. Oh, and if you mark your starting locations on the end plates, there isn't any fussing with chain adjustment, but you can always touch up the adjustment when you are putting it back ... add 5 minutes for that.

Beauty of the Ingersolls ...rugged AND easy to work on.

Brian

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phew...she's finally DONE! :letitsnow: :letitsnow: :letitsnow:
Here's some pics:

Feels GREAT to be DONE!

But now the tractor itself looks like it needs paint!!!! :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I agree. Nice job.

You guys know how I feel about tractor restoration but to me...........attachments that are still in service don't deserve the same amount of attention. While it might be nice to paint the bucket on a backhoe, you know that the first time you stick it in the ground...... that pretty paint is going to start disappearing. The same holds true with Utility Blades and Snocasters. It's just the nature of the beast but both items absolutely need to have this done on a regular basis for two reasons.

One.....both perform much better when a slippery paint surface is in play

Two.....keeping away the rust helps lengthen the life of the attachment.

You will get paint minor paint loss on the ends of the auger flutes but major paint loss in the chute area. When the season is over, wash the attachment clean. Let it dry thoroughly and then use a rattle can to re-coat the bare metal

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the compliments!

One.....both perform much better when a slippery paint surface is in play

Two.....keeping away the rust helps lengthen the life of the attachment.
This was actually why I did it in the 1st place. When I looked in the auger housing it was a nasty rusty mess! i knew IT WOULD NOT PERFORM OPTIMALLY with all that rust on it. They tend to clog easier (much easier) when rusty as well. AND... I figured it would just be a matter of time before that rust ate away at the housing until one day, "TA-DA... A HOLE!".
Not on my watch! :crazy:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Nice job. Looking at your picture, I realized I've had my skid shoes on backwards for the last 7 years. :facepalm: Confirmed this by looking at the owners and parts manuals. :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.