Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i would like to find a starter for my 130 that i am restoring. the owner before me replaced the original with a new one, that works good, but is obviously the wrong type. Thank you!

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If you are intending to conduct a true restoration, then you have more than just the starter to concern yourself with.

The original engine came with a Starter/Generator that needed a 4 terminal voltage regulator to recharge the battery. If you have a later (post 78 Kohler) engine that has a dedicated starter, then it should also have an stator coil mounted behind the flywheel, feeding a rectifier/regulator. The wiring harness would have been altered drastically to go from one system to the other. You can find the Parts Manual for you tractor in our Tech Library. That will show you how your tractor should be wired. d

Used Start/Gen units can be bought off of e-Bay from reputable Sellers like Joe's Outdoor Power, as can used regulators. I think that you will have to make a new harness for your tractor but first you need to determine what's different between your tractor and how it was before the alteration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the information. I was at a show the other day, and saw a mans 130 on display. I took pictures of everything that needed to be changed.You are right there is more than the starter generator. But i have to go in steps. A parts manual is probably a good way to go. thanks for your help.

·
Site Founder
1,801 Posts
Tom the parts manual can be found on this site. Go to the Technical Library. Then to Parts Manuals. Case 100 Series Garden Tractors, and it is the second one down.

Where are you located? There may be a member with a 130 close by that you can refer to.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I suggest that you look for the decal on your engine cowling and record the information on it. Then you can go to the Service Manuals/Kohler engines and find the chart that will decipher the year your engine was made and how it was equipped when it left the factory.

You are quite correct that you need to go in steps but the first step is one of discovering what others have done to your 130 over the years in comparison to how it originally left the factory. The 130/180 Parts Manual will guide you better than anything else. You will need the correct Delco Start/Gen unit and the CORRECT mounting bracket for the Start/Gen along with the bracket that holds the belt tension. By comparing the part numbers you find in the 130/180 Parts Manual to the part numbers you find in the 155/195 Parts Manual, you may be able to locate the parts you need much easier. 155's are plentiful compared to 130's. Perhaps a "parts tractor" would be in order since it would yield a 10 HP engine that may be far more correct along with the start/gen and all the mounting hardware.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.