Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first ingersoll 226 from its original owner. It is in pretty good shape overall with the normal wear and tear on a tractor that is 20+ years old. It is the 25th anniversary edition (1987) and has just a little over 1000 hours on it. I have been doing a lot of research on this tractor and cant seem to find as much info on my 226 as there is for the 222, 224, and 448's? Not sure if this tractor is just not as common as those other ones. I would love to find a plow or blower attachment for my machine as the snow flies pretty good here in Buffalo. I would like some more info on what attachments will fit my machine and if they are interchangeable with the other models. I do have the owners manual that goes with it so I plan on going through the machine completely changing all the fluids and greasing all the fittings. The manual also does not give me an oil filter number for the 16 h.p. onan engine. Thanks for any info!

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts
The 226 will take any of the attachments for the 200/400 series. Normally the only things the smaller HP 200 series tractors don't drive very well are the bigger snowcasters and larger mowing decks. Yours has enough HP to use the bigger stuff.

You won't be able to use a 60 inch deck.

Might have trouble pushing the bigger blade but only because of traction.

I'm sure some others will chime in. :trink:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Burrhoes: Welcome to the site, we're glad you joined! :usa: :usa: :usa: Congratulations on the new tractor! Love to see some pics! :thumbsup: As Chuck said, most attachments are interchangeable between the 200 and 400 series GTs, but not the sleeve hitch. :thumbsup:
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
On the top, right hand side of the page you will see small printing that gives you options for the site. One of those is "Members". Click on that word and it will take you to the Members List. Then click on my name on that list and a new window will open. On the left side you have the option to either send me a PM or an e-mail. You choose. EIther way I will get your message.

Hilda

·
Registered
247 Posts
Snotrocket said:
Might have trouble pushing the bigger blade but only because of traction.
First of all welcome and great selection of tractors. Secondly, you will have little problem pushing with a 54 inch blade. I use one on my 222 with chains only. The only trouble I have is when the blade is lifted, because then all the weight is transferred to the front end. My drive is 260 feet long.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put an ad up on craigslist and ended up getting a decent response for a blower. I ended up getting (2) L80 blowers for $100. They are not both complete and working but I am confident all the parts are there and can make at least 1 good one. I was talking to my brother in law and he suggested that with the other blower frame that i can remove the auger and patch all the holes and make my own custom plow blade. Any thoughts on that or ever see it done before?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
burrhoes said:
I put an ad up on craigslist and ended up getting a decent response for a blower. I ended up getting (2) L80 blowers for $100. They are not both complete and working but I am confident all the parts are there and can make at least 1 good one. I was talking to my brother in law and he suggested that with the other blower frame that i can remove the auger and patch all the holes and make my own custom plow blade. Any thoughts on that or ever see it done before?
Two snowcasters for $100.00 is a steal of a deal providing you can make one complete unit from the two. In my opinion, the second idea is a waste of time. For a utility blade to be effective, you must be able to angle it left and right. In addition, a 38" blade is too narrow. The OEM blade for all 200 models is 44" wide and the blade for the 400's is 54". Your 226 could easily push a 54" blade. Considering the amount of snow Buffalo gets, the blower is the better choice. Blades are fine for lighter snowfalls and when you have lots of room on the sides of the paved areas to push snow well back. With a blower, you can toss the snow ten to fifteen feet away from the edges of the paved areas immediately and never have to worry about moving the snow a second time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't necessarily want it for snow removal more of a utility blade or to move dirt. I could possibly modify it to pivot though but would it be worth it at the point to go through the labor and materials for a $100-$150 plow.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I think that you would be much further ahead keeping your eyes open for a proper utility blade from another brand and then just adapt that to your Case. The blade will likely be the right height and width. It will also have angling left and right and it may have a blade trip feature as well. Who know? If you advertise for a Case blade, maybe a cheap one will show up and that will solve the issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.