Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vanguard 23 horse engine on my 4023.
It was running fine last year.
I put the battery in storage at the end of the year and upon re installing the system is not charging it.
I put a volt meter on it while it was running (it starts with a jump fine) and I only get 11 volts.

So where to start;
I found the regulator mounted on the side of the engine.
It has a 2 wire yellow quick disconnect and a red wire.
Is it safe to assume that the red wire should be the charge going to the battery?
So I put a volt meter on the red wire (disconnected) to ground (neg side of battery) and I only get 1.5 volts.
Is this a valid test for the regulator?

Should I meter the voltage going into it or should I assume the regulator is not good?
Physically there is no visible damage to the regulator.

BTW-how do I add pictures of my tractor to my profile.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Administrator
3,515 Posts
Bill,

Welcome aboard. These voltage regulators do go bad after a while and from what you've written it sounds like that might be the case. I had to replace the one on my 4016 with a Vanguard a couple of years ago. One of the dealers here can set you up with a replacement regulator if you don't have a dealer close by.
Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a couple of trouble shooting tips

Thanks Tim,
For my piece of mind can you or someone help me with the trouble shooting process.
I have no problem ordering a new regulator.
But I'd like to learn more about the system and confirm that is the problem so I know I am waiting for the right part. (while my grass continues to grow).

To review here is what I know.
I am getting 29 volts AC going from contact to contact on the yellow connector that comes from the stator.
My battery reads >10 volts with the tractor running.
Red wire on the regulator to ground give me 1.5 volts.

I have talked to a couple local repair shops but got somewhat conflicting advice on how the system works.

So I know what to look for, could someone please tell me;
  1. With the tractor running should I see 13.5-14 volts at the battery?
  2. The red wire that comes off the regulator, is that what should be sending voltage to the battery?
  3. Are the aftermarket units on ebay ok to use or can someone recommend a good brand and supplier.

BTW-my local Agway wanted $90 to order one for me.

It would be nice to have my tractor running for next weekend.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,279 Posts
Bill, I supply the Vanguard regulator aftermarket (Oregon) at $52.34. We've had great success with these. I'm also sitting on a filter order for you ... please see my eMail.

For your answers:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So I know what to look for, could someone please tell me;

1. With the tractor running should I see 13.5-14 volts at the battery? YES ... MORE LIKE 13 - 14.5 MEASURED ACROSS THE BATTERY TERMINALS, RUNNING 3/4 THROTTLE.
  2. The red wire that comes off the regulator, is that what should be sending voltage to the battery? YES. BUT THIS IS A 2 PART CIRCUIT. IT BOTH SUPPLIES VOLTAGE TO EXCITE THE REGULATOR AND CARRIES CURRENT BACK TO THE BATTERY WHEN CHARGING PROPERLY. REMOVE THE CONNECTOR FROM THE REGULATOR, TURN THE IGNITION ON AND NOW MEASURE THE VOLTAGE ON THE RED (CENTER) WIRE TO THE BATTERY GROUND. THIS SHOULD READ BATTERY VOLTAGE WHICH IS SUPPLIED THROUGH THE KEY SWITCH. IF NOT, YOU HAVE A WIRING OR KEY SWITCH PROBLEM ON THAT CIRUIT. IF THAT IS FINE, BUT IT IS PULLED DOWN TO 1.5V (AS YOU MEASURED) WHILE CONNECTED, THEN THE REGULATOR IS YOUR CULPRIT.
  3. Are the aftermarket units on ebay ok to use or can someone recommend a good brand and supplier. I RECOMMEND OREGON ... WE'VE BEEN SUPPLYING THAT PART FOR YEARS WITH NO CONCERNS. NOT A CASE WHERE VANGUARD OEM IS ESSENTIAL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I hope this helps ...

Brian
Salem Power Equipment

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian,
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I found your email (sent to my old email address) and I will be responding to you directly with an order for some parts
Before I summarize what I learned for the forum, can you clarify this statement in reference to testing the regulator;
"BUT IT IS PULLED DOWN TO 1.5V (AS YOU MEASURED) WHILE CONNECTED"
it is the "while connected part" I would like clarified.
Do you mean the while the yellow connector that comes from the stator is connected and the red wire is disconnected, thereby allowing a measurement to be taken from the inside of the red connector on the regulator side to the battery ground?
Or do you mean while both the yellow and the red wire are connected, find a way to measure the voltage on the red wire?

Thanks,

Bill

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.