Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I just purchased an ingersoll 446 and it seems both connecting rods are broke. Is this common? I knew the engine had issues when I bought it, but I just couldn't pass it up. I bought it with a 3pt hitch,rear pto, holding valve, rototiller, 54" blade and a brinley box scraper for $550. The tractor has seen some abuse so i'm planning on using it for parts for my 448. Do all the 3pt hitches have down pressure? This is my first three point and I'm hoping to swap it onto my 448. I know this is a long frame model but is there a way to get the shorter lines for the holding valve, for it to fit on a short frame. My friend has a late seventies 446 and I was going to see if we could make something work for his tractor. He has two boys who love to cut the grass but they are to young to navigate down hills without a holding valve. Thanks

Nathan

·
Registered
616 Posts
Re: Ingersoll 446 both connecting rods broke?

I wouldn't say that it is common. Most people would stop using the tractor after losing one cylinder. But there are those "press on regardless" types who will continue to use thier equipment until the one rod that is now doing all of the work also fails.

By the way, congrats on the purchase, you did well!

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Re: Ingersoll 446 both connecting rods broke? Hold valve sw

nate448 said:
Hey Guys,

I just purchased an ingersoll 446 and it seems both connecting rods are broke. Is this common? I knew the engine had issues when I bought it, but I just couldn't pass it up. I bought it with a 3pt hitch,rear pto, holding valve, rototiller, 54" blade and a brinley box scraper for $550. The tractor has seen some abuse so i'm planning on using it for parts for my 448. Do all the 3pt hitches have down pressure? This is my first three point and I'm hoping to swap it onto my 448. I know this is a long frame model but is there a way to get the shorter lines for the holding valve, for it to fit on a short frame. My friend has a late seventies 446 and I was going to see if we could make something work for his tractor. He has two boys who love to cut the grass but they are to young to navigate down hills without a holding valve. Thanks

Nathan
I would value the

tiller at $400.00

hitch at $400.00

hitch adapter at $150.00

rear PTO at $200.00

holding valve at $200.00

utility blade at $200.00

Brinly box blade at $150.00

448 with dead engine at $150.00

That totals $1850.00, in case you were wondering.

If you put that 3 pt onto a short frame tractor, then get hoses made up to suit. Seal the ends of the steel lines you have and leave some oil inside to keep the rust from forming. Tuck them away somewhere safe because you never know when you will be glad you did so. The holding valve could probably be traded for the correct one and that would be the smart way to go. All you need to trade are the two steel lines that go between the drive motor and the valve and that will keep shipping costs low for both parties.

The H and J 26 hitches have downpressure as does the newer HH-34. The older F and G hitches do not.

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,511 Posts

nathan
i have never, never, never, never, ever seen two broken rods
in an onan twin cylinder. ( did i say that enough times? )
thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The reason I thought that both connecting rods were broke was because I did a compression test and did not have pressure in either cylinder. Also when I checked the oil, it did not read on the dipstick so I just figured that would be the a cause for a connecting rod failure. Is it possible that some sort of pin broke that would prevent pistons from moving when the engine was cranked over? Would I be able to tell more if I took the heads off? I have not done much engine work so I'm tying to learn. Thanks for all your replies.

Nathan

·
Banned
12,618 Posts

If the key stock that holds the flywheel into position on the crankshaft has sheared off, then it is conceivable that the starter motor could spin the flywheel but the crankshaft, rods and pistons would not move. My suggestion would be to remove the heads, push on one piston and see if the opposing piston moves an equal distance to the one you are pushing on. If it does, then perhaps it is a keyway issue. The fact that you saw no oil on the dipstick would inspire me to tear the engine down for inspection anyway. I'd want to inspect the connecting rod bearings first because that's where my biggest concern would be.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hey guys, I finally got around to pulling the heads off the tractor today. I tried pushing one piston in and the other did not move. I pushed in the other side and the same thing happened. Now both pistons are pushed toward the center. There was also one intake valve stuck open. So with this, I'm assuming that both connecting rods are broke? I also took the three point, holding valve and pto off. That holding valve was a real pain to pull apart. I really feel bad taking parts off of this tractor but it's turning out to be a great learning experience!

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts

Looks bad going take total rebuild for that engine one valve stuck all need rebuild low oil braking 2 rods and dry mains cam no lube gear timing and camshaft. You need running engine scrap one in tractor cost to high rebuild.
Buying used engine get compression checked and buy as power unit carb coil starter tin en-clouded.

·
Registered
994 Posts

For those of you with a curious bone about 2 busted rods here's the picture. Both rod beams are disintegrated. Large piece of foam or cloth sucked over the entire intake for the oil pump. Crank is still usable. Guess I may keep it for a someday spare.

·
Registered
994 Posts

Mark, I've given up on fixing them rods after the duct tape wouldn't hold past 2000 rpm! :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: so would these rods be considered a kit then?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.