Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying that I am very unfamiliar with Case/ Ingersoll garden tractors. I was basically gifted a 1970 Case 220 that runs amazing and all I did was change the oil and put a new battery in it.
There is a 446 for sale near me that has an Onan engine that is not currently running. The tractor is advertised for $150.
My questions are:
Are engine parts readily available?
Is this worth flipping? I think I could make a fair profit on it if I fix and repair barring any major issues.
Thanks for the input and your time

Larry (the new guy)

·
Administrator
8,296 Posts
HI Larry
Welcome to CCI. (y)
Sure glad your having good luck with your 220 (y)
Buying a 446 for $150, bucks probably not the greatest idea unless your going to part it out
Ya see more Onan engines that have given up running and are big bucks to fix (y)
Do some reading on the forum 👀

bigman ☮

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,279 Posts
Welcome Larry. Glad to hear your 220 is running fine. Does it have a Kohler or an Onan in it? The 446 sounds like a good deal, but needs to be checked out to see if it's a parts tractor or worth the time and money to restore. Good luck in what ever you decide.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
229 Posts
Larry, do you like gambling? Well that’s what your into when you buy any old any thing. They are a fairly popular tractor with people, I think, the 446’s. I gambled last year and bought a Case 446, with a snow caster thrower on it. And I’ve never had a Case before, but have a bunch of other brand garden tractors. Any way, I won. Tractor ran after we put a battery and fuel it, at the sellers location. Didn’t expect it to run. So drove it on the trailer. Snow caster worked too. But. I’ve put some work into it since then. I paid two hundred Canadian for it. I’m working on the snow caster now.
Good luck on your decision and welcome to the site Larry.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
Another one I gambled on Larry. Bought this about 6 weeks ago. $200.00. Pump was bad. Pump shaft was broke. Sat outside for 5 years. I gambled and bought it. Did some work to get a number of things running and working. Once I did. Then I started looking for a pump. Which I found. I’ve been cutting my grass and sons grass, about 6 cuts in the last 3 weeks. It came with a 48” deck, which worked, but needs rust fixed, a snow caster thrower, which needs repairs and a tiller. Not a Case brand tiller thou.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good morning Team!
Thanks for the quick responses for my inquiry.
Someone beat me to it so it turns out that this time was a no go, but the insight provided helps a lot.
I like the 220 and I cut the grass again this weekend with it.
Starts right away, runs strong, and it is a cutter.

Larry

·
Administrator
4,147 Posts
TOOOOOO SLOOOOOOW. lol For 150 clams you can't loose either for parts or resurrection. For that kind of deal you should have the trailer pinned on and cash ready. Those deals on a 400 series NEVER happen here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TOOOOOO SLOOOOOOW. lol For 150 clams you can't loose either for parts or resurrection. For that kind of deal you should have the trailer pinned on and cash ready. Those deals on a 400 series NEVER happen here.
I guess I need a trailer! HAHA

·
Administrator
4,147 Posts
Not always necessary. With the deck off, it will fit easily in a pickup box. a smaller boat winch fastened to the front of the box works awesome fro winding her in. I always lift the tailgate off and put the ramps on top of the bumper and on the bed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not always necessary. With the deck off, it will fit easily in a pickup box. a smaller boat winch fastened to the front of the box works awesome fro winding her in. I always lift the tailgate off and put the ramps on top of the bumper and on the bed.
The combination of lowering the tailgate and using boards is how I got the 220 in the Silverado

·
Registered
444 case
70 Posts
I've been gambling,I've bought three at auctions in the last couple months,222,444 with kohlers I've done real good on,446 with a Onan has been testing me,getting closer to getting it running better but this is the first Onan I've worked on,yes their costly,Gonna sell the 222 as soon as I get the snocaster finished,bearings and pulley and it's done,Gambling is something I don't like but this is fun and rewarding

1 - 11 of 11 Posts