Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I purchased an Ingersoll 448 in Rosedale, IN off of Craigslist. Looking under the tractor, I think I am seeing a travel control valve with the integrated holding valve and an add on holding valve? Is that correct? If so, should I take the external valve off? Is there any advantage to having both or did someone in this tractor's past make an overzealous error.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
You are correct. That is a travel/lift valve with the holding feature built in. I have no explanation as to why the 2nd valve was added. There is no need for it to be there unless the OEM valve has been gutted.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If the OEM valve works properly without the add-on, then you have yourself a nice little rebate coming your way. It should be an easy sell, many people are looking to buy a complete holding valve kit to upgrade their older Case tractor. Good score, the 448 is a great worker too.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
skiveller said:
How do you know that travel control valve has a holding valve built in?
Because the standard travel/lift valve looks like this.

and the travel/lift valve with holding feature looks like this.

This particular valve happens to have the ability to accept the oil flow from the case drain line at the rear of the tractor and also the return line from power steering pump. That's why you see that extra angle fitting sticking out the side. If the tractor that this valve came off of, had power steering then a Tee fitting would be there instead of the 90.

The holding feature is housed inside that cylindrical bump on top of the regular casting and has a large nut on either end to allow machining along with the insertion of the valving that causes the motor to lock up on demand.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
grummy said:
I'd sure like to hear about HOW it happened to have one added.... Makes no sense.
I'm with you on that one.

If the OEM valve stopped functioning correctly then why was it not repaired? Did the PO not realize that he already HAD a holding valve on his tractor and added the external valve by mistake?

Kwestions, Kwestions and more Kwestions. :lol:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
kjkansasdan said:
Perhaps the previous owner had some particularly steep hills to maneuver.
A properly working OEM holding valve will stop a tractor dead in its tracks when there is no oil pressure applied to either of the two inlet ports. I have yet to see a thread where someone is complaining about a holding valve not controlling their tractor when it's working properly. If dirt gets in, then that can cause problems but dirt can be removed and the valve goes back to the way it was when new.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.