Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Ingersoll S90 Lawn Sweeper

24K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  4223ps 
#1 ·
I purchased an Ingersoll S90 lawn sweeper last fall after hearing how good the Ingersoll sweepers were and before finding a HVFB and PTO for my 4018. I own a Craftsmen sweeper and I figured I would try the Ingersoll sweeper out and make a decision on which one to keep. When I got it home it did not work very well and I was thinking I was going to have to go for a set of brushes. After explaining the symptoms to Brian he felt it needed new compression springs and roll pins on the drive gears. After studying the drive gear assembly and getting an understanding on how it works I was confident that the problem was the springs and ordered both the springs and roll pins through Brian. While I was waiting for the parts to come in I pulled the sweeper apart and wire brushed, sanded, primed and painted. The sweeper is all reassembled, I have not tried it out yet, but, just spinning the wheels with the sweeper on saw-horses and putting some drag on the sweeper brush I am very confident the problem is fixed. I know longer hear a clicking noise caused by the roll pins jumping on the drive gears; it appears the brushes are going to be able to get to full speed now and throw the grass and leaves with no problem. I plan on trying it within the next week or so, adding the decal and then I will be putting it up for sale now that I no longer need it having a HVFB and PTO for my 4018. The Case / Ingersoll manual recommends using a dry lube on the wheels / drive gear assembly, for anyone that has a sweeper do not use grease, what a mess it makes when mixing with grass and dirt. I literally had to take a screwdriver and run it between the gear teeth to loosen the sludge that was in the wheels, going back and forth from a gasoline bath to scrubbing to get all the junk out of there. Attached are some pictures of the sweeper and the repairs:

See less See more
#3 ·
mikebramel said:
Thats not a $59.99 sweeper from homer
I painted the tow bar today, let it dry and then bolted it on to the sweeper and tried the sweeper out without the bag, I wanted to be able to see the brushes in case it did not work I could see what was going on. That thing can really throw debris. It was picking up the dead thatch on the lawn and just tossing it. There were some small stones on the back of my blade from when I back bladed my daughters house. They fell in an area of the lawn a few weeks ago and when I went over the stones my back got peppered by them, I was in low range a bit less then half throttle. There is an area of the driveway that I just got finished moving some loam from and I drove over that area. The sweeper kicked up a dust cloud there. The sweeper is working great, if I did not have a bagger I would keep it.

#6 ·
Looking for Case lawn sweeper parts, gears, springs and pins! Can anyone help? By the way, as a Canadian would like somewhere that will ship here, as many sites do not!

I have a Case 444, 224 and 220 that I am trying to restore along with the mowers, tillers and the lawn sweeper.

#7 ·
Your best bet would be to pm one of the dealers here, brian (bhildreth), bob (myerslawnandgarden), or bill and charlie(BarnImp.1662) and ask them. Most likely, the parts your inquiring about are available, and reasonably priced. These are trusted dealers, and wont steer you wrong. They can give you the price and shipping details :thumbsup:

#8 ·
donens said:
Looking for Case lawn sweeper parts, gears, springs and pins! Can anyone help? By the way, as a Canadian would like somewhere that will ship here, as many sites do not!

I have a Case 444, 224 and 220 that I am trying to restore along with the mowers, tillers and the lawn sweeper.
I purchased springs and pins from Brian, had them in a couple of days.

#10 ·
Have a similar Case lawn sweeper to restore for the past 2 years. Purchased all new brush shaft bearings and pins. The gears are good! Now I cannot remember the orientation of the bearings, gears and shims. Does anyone have a manual or schematics that shows proper orientation? Also, looking to replace a couple of brushes. Are there any brushes that will work on the older sweepers, with some modification?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.