Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not so long ago, you could punch "Case lawn tractor" into the e-Bay search box and come up with all kinds of AUCTIONS. I did search today and notice that about 75% (guess) of the listings are just Buy it Now. Here's my price...take it or leave it. A year ago, Joe Hemmi would dismantle a tractor and put each part on e-Bay with an opening bid of ninety-nine cents and let the buying public decide on the final value. I still see listings by Joe but not auctions like those.

It seems to me that e-Bay's ever-changing policies and fees have driven the Sellers to going this route. E-Bay has become more of a store than an auction site, IMO.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I had a recent discussion with Dan Haas about ebay and he was one of the sellers who posted a lot of items but now he is selling very little on ebay due to the increased fees. Among other things, ebay now calculates its fees on the total price including shipping. And, they try to force sellers to accept payments through Paypal which adds another layer of fees. On top of that, they are now trying to force sellers to use ebay shipping which adds even more fees. As Dan pointed out it's easy to sell an item for $1 and have the fees eat up the entire seller's take on the deal so no more $.99 deals. Apparently there are new players coming to market with ebay type of business but with a more favorable price structure and Dan expects a lot of sellers to move to these new sites as they become established.

The ebay transformation began when Meg Whitman stepped down and they brought in some new managers who apparently don't have much grasp of the business and believe they can just jack the fees up to make more money.

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
I went to my trusty E Bay Case GT search engine and sure enough its about 80% are BIN. If its due to recoup exorbitant fees, it appears they will hurt themselves eventually (EBay) by their own greed. E bay has been useful to me to buy in the past, but is nowhere near my primary means of purchase for items.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Ebay sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plain and simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You dont even want to get me started on them.

I hardly ever sell on ebay but just last month I decided to sell a few things I had lying around the house. 40% of my stuff sold for a total of just under $600. Of that $600 profit, $120 went to shipping charges and $125 went to ebay fees. As it stands now, I basically made no money on the items I sold. Ebay has become the biggest organization of thieves I have ever seen. I will never sell shit on ebay ever again. Its just not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yep, I still sell on eBay some. But, more items are sold as a result of contacts made than actually through eBay. I still do auctions, but bidding has slowed to the point that I no longer do low start prices. Just start at my minimum selling price and hope it goes up. If not, it just goes on the shelf for later.

Joe Hemmi announced his change of process on MTF a few months ago. I understand his requirement as his business model requires a fairly large selling price (by my cheap standards). So he can no longers afford any 99cent sales.

The eBay fee on shipping is due in large part to a bunch of sleazy sellers that would sell items for a buck and charge exorbitant shipping. They netted a nice price but screwed eBay. And, that practice drove a lot of potential buyers off the site. Nobody would willingly pay 50 bucks to ship a 1 dollar item.

Since shipping is paid by the customer, not me, I don't count that as part of my selling price.

My fees look to be averaging about the same, maybe up 4% since the change. When you look at the normal local auction fees of 20-25% in my area with a bidder pool of 2-250 people, eBay's fees are very reasonable. I'll gladly pony up 10-15% to reach hundreds of thousands of customers.

That's my take, fire away.

·
Banned
38 Posts
I'll agree with the recent changes NOT being good for consumers. I mean those of us that use the site to either sell or buy. eBay and PayPal are essentially the same company so they 'double dip' you as a seller first with auction and final value fees, and then charge a percentage of the funds transferred as payment through PP. You end up paying twice to sell now versus only once in years past.
I can maybe understand why they brought on the new policy of charging 'juice' on the shipping fees due to some sellers past practices, but it doesn't make it any easier to stomach. As a seller that is, I am guessing that those who only buy with them are mostly in the dark about this stuff.
I will only buy the few things I need but will NOT sell with them again until a better, more seller friendly way of assessing fees is instituted.
Don't they realize they are severely dependant on sellers to drive their business?
I would like to see some competition in the online auction arena, competition ALWAYS keeps this kind of fleecing in check.

G

·
Bart makes a good point about Meg Whitman. It seems that no matter the size of business, small family owned, or super giant like Wal-Mart, when the originators leave or pass away, the "money thieves" move in and screws up everything. :crazy: IMHO Wal-Mart started going south (and still is going south) soon after Sam Walton passed away. Now it should be called Wal-Mart "Republic of China" since that's just about where everything comes from. At least old Sam tried to keep a certain percentage of American :usa: made goods.

I was think about studying up on E-Bay as I have never done anything with them before. I doubt that I'll do that now.

Mark

·
Registered
261 Posts
Like Brad said eBay sucks but it's the best game there is.
They did push the eBay stores and if you have one, buy it now listing are only like three cents and run for a month. That's why there are tons of BINs lately. I think allot of the buyers are want it now kind of people so the tactic works sometimes.
When they jacked the fees up a couple years ago they only went up about three or four percent like Kenc said. They used to run about five or six percent on a larger item because they had some funky graduated scale going on and now it's a flat nine percent. It says that they are charging that percentage on shipping also but they haven't on mine yet.
Brad if you paid $120 in fees on $600 sales then that's twenty percent and their fees are a flat nine so your issue I'm betting is your reserve price fees which can get pricey. Tell me where else your going to get $250 for a pto clutch though.
It looked to me that your sales were closer to $1000 plus your shipping and I don't understand what you mean about the shipping coming out of your profit.
Granted if you chose to use PayPal they run another three percent fees on that.
Like Kenc said if you take something to a local auction they'll hit you for way more fees and for allot less crowd. He also commented on the $50 shipping on a $1 item. If a buyer is not bright enough to realize that he's paying $51 for a $51 item then what seller in their right mind would want to deal with them anyway. Do you go to WalMart and ask them how much of the purchase price is the cost of transportation and then bitch if you think it's to much? It was my understanding that it was less than one percent of the sales that tried the shipping deal and it backfired on most of them because granted buyers are for the most part idiots and now you can't leave them anything but + feedback so others can't be warned.
This is one of my peeves if you can't tell because I'd rather sell on eBay but eBay sucks so I use Clist more nowadays. Worst thing about that is I have to meet some of the idiots.
I have met quite a few real nice tractor nuts though.

NEXT

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sam Walton was passing Chinese goods through Wally World when he was still with us. I remember when Sam got called out for touting made in the U.S.A. when his store was full of foreign goods. Walmart ran alot of small business out of business, one of the worst things that happened to this country is when Wal-Mart got so powerfull. Thats where your sons & daughters and grandkids will be working, its just like the ole Kentucky coal mine stores.

Mark

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The shipping calculator on eBay is inaccurate. I set up a few of my auctions with the actual dimensions and weight so that potential buyers would know the exact cost of shipping but when I go to ship the parts out the real cost of that package is a few dollars more then what eBay calculated. A couple dollars lost on 20 items get expensive. Between that and the listing fees, final value fees, and paypal fees you just have success selling on eBay anymore.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Not to dispute your experience with the calculator, but I've never experienced that.

What shipping method do you find to be wrong? USPS, UPS or???.

I did find a few years ago that calculating on eBay and shipping at the UPS Store got different prices. But, since I started printing my own labels and just doing dropoffs all is good. I quote ups now, but ship fedex mostly as I just don't like UPS. Lots of smaller stuff goes USPS Priority flat rate.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Losing a couple bucks on shipping happens but you said $120. If FedEx quoted a higher price than it cost I don't understand how you lost money. Like I said your reserve price fees are what add up for your listing fees. Otherwise they give you free listings.
eBay doesn't own a shipping company and I've never understood why anyone would trust their quotes. You should be able to go to the actual shipper and get a good quote. If your using a shipping program from work it probably has your companies discount figured in and if you go and ship something personally it will be higher. I use FedEx and get a 17% discount which covers any mistakes I make in guesstimates and supplies. People seem to think peanuts grow on trees and I usually buy a new box for each item unless I use the Flat Rate Boxes.
Kenc if you use the UPS Store you need to realize they are an independent outfit so they add a percentage for their cut. They aren't really UPS like FedEx Kinkos is actually FedEx.
USPS flat rate is awesome. Throw a 55# cast iron wheel weight in a box and try and ship it for $15.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
cp7 said:
USPS flat rate is awesome. Throw a 55# cast iron wheel weight in a box and try and ship it for $15.
You can't beat flat rate priority, I'll give Uncle Sam that. When I was still shipping guitars a couple years back, ups could not touch the usps price for international shipping. Only catch, kind of a big one, was no delivery confirmation/signature options. As long as the buyer was fully aware of that, I could normally save them about a $100, otherwise it went UPS.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
CP7, I said $120 because that was the total amount that ebay charged me to list my 12 or auctions. And then to add salt to the wound, I had a auction end with a final price of $242 and the high bidder never bought the item. He hasn't even responded back to my 6 or emails I sent him and ebay wont even let me leave him negative even after 1 week. Ebay is set up to protect buyers not sellers. I would love to see the daily profit they make from the charges they collect on from sellers.

On a side note, I will seriously consider using the USPS if I ship anything out in the future. I want to give a fair shipping charge to the customer but I also dont want to scare them away from buying an item because the charges seem too high. Case in point, I sold a few Snap On wrenches and had calculated between $5.00 and $10 for shipping. Fed Ex charged me on average $11-$16 to ship them out in padded envelopes. I still had to buy the envelope. I cant understand why it cost $14 to ship a 5/8" wrench in a padded envelope 900 miles away using ground method. The shipping charges were more then the selling price of the wrench!!!!!

Im just frustrated about all this right now because I cant stand companies that pull this shit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Non Paying Bidders and not being able to leave negative feedback for them will be the death of eBay. You just need to go file a claim and eBay will return the final value fees for that auction which should be $20+ and then just relist it. The feedback system was one of the best things about eBay and one of the first things that they screwed up and changed.
Now your shipping bitch makes sense and you hosed yourself on that one. On shipping your wrenches I would take a piece of cardboard and fold it in half, cut it a little bigger than the wrench and tape the three sides well. Send it USPS and it should run about $3-$4 to ship. Your lucky they didn't all sell. Live and learn.
Always get delivery confirmation on USPS packages and always insure anything that you don't want to afford to give the buyer their money back for (purchase price plus shipping). The Post Office "lost" a $250 tool I sold that the wife ended up shipping for me since I was out of town and forgot the insurance. I paid the buyer back.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I think I understand your frustration with shipping calculations. If you're acutally shipping Fedex, the eBay calculator doesn't support that, Only USPS and UPS. So, it's a gamble it you use the calculator and select one of those but then go to Fedex to actually ship it. On small stuff, anything that fits in a flat rate or regional priority box, I now use USPS exclusively.

Fast, convenient, cheap...You really can get all three!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.